1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Well I bought an AIRED X

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Tackleberry, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    So after seeing that the 3 lettered shop that I hate had the daiwa AIRED X 4000 on sale for $89 I figured that since I was more than happy with my BG reels it would be a good reel .
    So I just went in and bought one and didn't even take it out of the box ...... wish I did as it would still be sitting on their shelf this is supposed to be a $150 reel and if I had paid full price I would be absolutely ropable it is a cheap plastic reel and sloppy .
    But I got it cheap and being a 4000 size I will put it on a light snapper rod and give it a workout with 15lb braid and see if it can take it but I am very skeptical about it .
    Anyway this is just my opinion and I hope I am wrong ......

Cheers TAC

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    There was a time when there was a fair chance that you could pick up a bargain when buying a discounted reel or rod, but it seems that these days if you buy something cheap you don't get anything more than a bottom shelf cheap item, especially from the mob you are referring to, Tac.

On my recent trip down south to Newcastle I was lucky to find a Compleat Angler store that was closing down after 53 years of trading - sad to see, but bargains galore. I picked up an Ugly Stik rod at 25% of what the 3 lettered store was selling them and a heap of terminal gear that were almost at giveaway prices. I guess it was just being in the right place at the right time.

Jeff

3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Nothin worse than buying a "supposed" awesome reel that is discounted and then it feels sloppy from the get-go!
    As a Shimano fan I can safely say that has never happened - YET! I hope you put it to some good use Tac it would be a shame to not at least flog it to see how it actually performs.

On a different note I bought some time ago some Rovex baitrunner reels from Dinga for under $40 and I was surprised how good they actually feel- except for the drag which needs a bit more lube or if you are adventurous you could go for a carbontex upgrade DIY I found they are very reliable and they come with 2 spools which is pretty good if you want to run different lines.

Good luck with getting the little Daiwa flogged on some big Red's

:)

Rod Bender, Old fisho, kev209 and 3 others like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Tac....you have likely been spoiled by the BG!!!! You could view it like I do with my cheap rear drag reels....don't expect much from them and don't care much if they get damaged. On saying that, mine are only going up against carp so I am not expecting the reel to fail even tho carp are a great fighting fish.

On the other hand, you may be risking a far better catch and may not want to take the risk. I guess the option is there to return it if you want?

Do the Airds still come with an extra spool? They did when they were released originally.
    Cheers
    Jim

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  5. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    I should have been a bit sus when I seen 10bb it's the biggest warning sign AFAIC when you see a lot of bb on a cheap reel .
    But this is a reel that sells for $150 normally.
    And yes it will go out with me on the snapper and no risk they are only snapper nothing to rave about now if I lose another 40cm leathery that will piss me off .
    Anyway I will get some pics up soon to show the cheapness and where the slop is , I put some cheap chinga braid on it haha but the funny thing I bought a bit of this stuff years ago and it is as good as j braid on my other snapper rod I used the same FG knot for 2 years and when it proped last week (With a good sized snapper on) it proped an inch below the knot .
    There is a funny moral to all this ;)

Cheers TAC

Old fisho, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  6. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Mate cheap dinga braid is great for the $$$ - I bought bulk spools of Rovex in 15/20/30lb and am yet to break the line, it always breaks the leader just below the knot- and given I am using Black Magic leader in 40/60lb and Berkley in 6/8/10/14 for everything else it says a LOT about the quality of the braid. Also I am yet to get any wind knots or major tangles- unlike the sale reels running "brand name" braid like Fireline, Stren, Spiderwire, Fins Original PRT and Windtamer all had major issues on all my reels. Now I switched over to Rovex and my last baitrunner runs PowerPro in 40lb and I havent changed the line in 5years of weekly beach fishing - I am now down to around 2/3 of the original spool.

I admint I am definitely overdue for a respool but I think I will wait until I am under half spool remaining before I run another 500+yds on the 6500.

Old fisho, creekboy, kev209 and 3 others like this.
  7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yes my son bought a couple of rovex graphite rods for flathead spinning the 7' ones withe the solid graphite tips they are very good on the flattys and big trevors but a bit heavy for the feness of bream .
    I think the Rovex stuff is rather underrated.
    The chinga braid I have came on 500m spools and is only 4 carrier and very noisy across the guides but I did buy some 8 carrier Hercules braid this stuff is very smooth and I will use some when the 15lb stuff on my biomaster is shot haha but it is still going strong after 3.5 years of torture , it gets a flogging on the reef from April till August then all the warmer months spinning for Taylor so it gets a hard life . And at $20 to my door for 500m I am very happy .

8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Apart from some 20lb that I've used in the top end, down here I only use 4lb Fireline in the dark grey colour. (Is it smoke?). I love it, have decked some great fish with it; to a line/fish weight ratio of 5.5:1 which is a good test for any line. I fish all day when out and the current lines are now about eight years old. I have no issues with Fireline lines at all. Noel

9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Noel I found the fireline go's fluffy after a while so I ended up buying a couple of 1500y spools of suffix microfuse great stuff and a lot cheaper than fireline haha but it's the same stuff I recon just a different color and I won't be changing as I have enough to last my kids lifetime as well as my own .

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  10. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I have a fishing mate who has a wholesaler source so there's a great difference compared to retail stores. Big margins on fishing gear. My mate tells me it's at least 100% so I pay about half price.

creekboy, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  11. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    I hear ya on price the commodity price on a static would be lucky to be $30 .

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  12. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    So I finally got out to fish the reel and while my GPS crapped it self and would not work it did get a work out on the banded mowong.
    Just as well as it is a reel I will no longer use .
    Everything about it is cheap from the most important thing the drag to the rest of it , the backlash in the main gear is reminiscent of a reel from the 70s and the flex on everything is what belongs on a reel costing $60 ......
    Anyway some pics ......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers TAC ......

13. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Great photos TAC

diesel, Tackleberry and Old fisho like this.
  14. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice report Tac. I never mentioned it earlier but when the Aird first came out, I purchased one. The main attraction then was that it came with a spare spool. Although I knew it wasn't the smoothest of reels. In the end I returned it before I used it.

I am foolishly looking at buying another spin reel (don't need one) and the 2 candidates are the old model Stradic or the Daiwa BG. In the end it may come down to whatever is on sale.

A friend at work wanted to buy a spin reel as a present for his son. Whilst my mate does fish, he was uncertain as to what to purchase. So he googled something along the line of 'what is the best spin reel'. The Daiwa BG came up so he got one!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Tackle consultant!

diesel, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  15. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yeah you can pickup a 2500 bg for 155
    And I should have saved some more cash and got a 4000bg they are light years ahead on quality . For not much more money .......
    And the airedX does not come with a spare spool .

diesel and kev209 like this.