1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Well the trout season is now open.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Madfisher, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    It opened at midnight on friday night. We are currently looking after grand kids while there Mum is in hospital so i was a bit house bound.
    Sat arvo i done a short trip right in town behind the dog track, murky water and cloud cover dont help with sight fishing. I did cover a few carp, but as usual the townies are to smart for me.
    Sunday after lunch I drove up to the Campbells river below Chifley dam, a minor tail race i can guess. I landed my first trout on fly here in the mid 70s, and also my first take on a dry fly( i mistimed the strike lol) Damm carp everywhere and not a sign of a trout .
    Re rigged my leader to have 12lb tippet and attacked the carp. Ended up with 5 in a few hours, they all fought very strongly. Sadly i hooked a real horse in a run, he ate the fly, I lifted, came up tight, then the hooked pulled buggar, easily 15lb(most likely closed to 40lb lol)
    Monday i got a way a bit earlier and drove about 40ks to a normally delightful stream called the Winburdale riverlet. Get there its not flowing, and putrid, the gully rakers last summer have washed lots of mud etc in to the river, and no big flows to flush it out. walked about a k upstream , and decided it was hopeless.
    So back tracked and drove back up the bridle track and drove to spot on the Macquarie river about 20ks below Bathurst. The river was low but quite clear.
    First carp I covered tasted it and spat it. I ground the fly into the mud and covered another one and he ate. good solid fish 8lb , high 60s.
    There where carp working there way up runs with there backs out of the water, never mind poloroiding, just look for a big back.
    Anyway ended up landing 14, not bad for about 4 hours fishing. All where from 4 to 8lb.
    tight lines guys.

2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Obviously the dry weather is affecting rivers. Do you see any hope of recovery for the trout population if it does rain consistently?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Wishes you had landed a 40 lb carp just to make the carp comp slightly interesting!

3. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Mate sadly they have been going down hill for the last 15 years up here. Pine forest are drying springs up, more irrigation less water for fish. willow removal, less shade, hotter water, and throw in more frequent droughts. There are a few streams at 1000m where they are hanging on. But the campbells was all ways a trout hot spot, however when they enlarged the dam a few years ago, they changed the oo take from the bottom to variable. The fact Golden perch now find it quite comfortable most likely means its to hot for trout.
    pete

4. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Bender i just seen a pic of a carp caught in Glenbawn dam that was over 90cm, and most likely over 30lb. Caught on a liitle rapala cd3. I think a trip up there might be in order.

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Pete, I had a quick look at Glenbawn last week on my way down to Newcastle, just to see how much fishable water is there and it's not too bad compared to others I checked out on my trip. Copeton is less than 10%, Split Rock is 2% and Chaffey is under 20% - it's not looking good. Glenbawn is currently at about 50%.

I was planning to head out your way, a week or so in the area on my way further south, but the lack of water in a most of the dams and rivers discourages me from leaving the Lake Macquarie region.

Jeff

Old fisho, kev209, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  6. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Glenbawn and its sister dam St Clair are hard to go past mate. Wyangala is still in the low 20s, but its rather murky and the cod season is closed.The more southern streams are faring better. As what rain there has been has been more in the south.

Old fisho, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've never fished St Clair, but heard good things about it. I'm hunting around to buy a new kayak and if I can get the one that I want then maybe I'll get up to both Glenbawn & St Clair and flick some lures for bass.

I've been after an Old Town Loon 126 kayak for a while, but hard to find up my way.

Old Town Loon 126.jpg
    Jeff

8. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Mate we have had better bass fishing in St clair. We have had nights where we have lost count how many we have caught. More typical night would be between 5 and 10 ea. Also done quite well in the day. Mate also did well on Goldens dragging lures around.

9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the info, Pete.

It's a quick trip up to St Clair from where I'm staying (Awaba), with that new stretch of freeway through to Branxton, I can be on the water in 90 minutes.

Jeff

Old fisho, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  10. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes mate, now is the time to fish it. its one of the most scenic lakes on the mainland. Bass seem to love points and weed beds.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.