1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

WENT FISHING AGAIN--SORT OF

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Wednesday Bill and I headed up the river. We had planned to fish for gars in the lake but BoM had convinced us the wind would reach 34kmh. No fun on open water. Incidentally, they were as they have become regularly, lately; miles out. It was cool with 100% cloud and the air was still all day. We didn't fish hard. Instead spent time doing some recci stuff. Neither had been far up stream and didn't know how far it was navigable. It was amazing. We wandered 4-5km further up than we'd been. The water depth surprised us both. Often we were in 4-5m and even 7-8, with one bend clocking out at 12.5m. Further investigations tell us that some who know, fish for jewies up there. It all sounds easy but every now and then the sounder would give us the nod and the depth would disappear as a sandbank lay across the stream and motor would have to be tilted to get over it. At one point I stepped out and pushed Bill 20m to reach usable water again. It's a lovely place with spotted gums and casuarinas lining the banks and in most places is twenty and more metres wide. The river bed is far from uniform. There are channels and holes that are great looking fish holding places. We threw plastics into one about 3-400m long and against a steep bank and pulled two flatties at 46 and 42. Because of the speed at which we travelled up, it was lunchtime before we had a fish on board. We mixed one glass each of shiraz/cab with a couple of beaut salad rolls, fruit cake and capuchino coffee. Dunno how to spell that. Finally returning to our more normal areas, we pumped some worm and dropped a couple of lines in. We got half a dozen whiting but never kept any.
    We both have had a few recently.
    I think I'd taken home almost 30 out of about 50 I'd caught in recent weeks. We've had a few nice whiting dinners too.
    Bill also pulled a 32cm bream which he returned.
    It was a great day and Bill is good company. I don't like his boat though. It is a light Quintrex, has no deck and rocks when anyone moves. My old girl, being so heavy, and with a flat deck, means I can walk all over with little movement. Never laugh at some of these old boats. They have distinct advantages over some. On the other side; I doubt I could get to some of the places we found. My old girl (boat) draws a bit more water than Bill's.
    Anyway; a top day in pretty country and while we're only a little older; we're certainly much wiser.
    Noel

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Madfisher, blair, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Another nice report as we have grown to expect from you , Noel. Better luck next trip. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, I hope you put a mark on the side of Bill's boat when you found those deep holes - you might want to find them again. :rolleyes:

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Lyall but there's no need for the better luck. We had a good day. We simply didn't fish as hard as we normally would. Like Burke and Wills and those other blokes; we were too busy exploring hitherto unknown parts.

Thanks Jeff but that's not a reliable system. It would fail and be useless if I took my boat for example. After discussing it with Bill, we decided to pour some white paint on the water. Then we could find it regardless of which boat was used. Noel

5. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Not white paint, Noel. Now every body will know where to fish. Seems counter productive to me. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I still learn something every day.
    I never even thought of that Lyall.
    Your wise feed back is much appreciated. N.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  7. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    That is ok,Noel. Always happy to help. Cheers, Lyall. PS, don't tell anyone else.

diesel, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  8. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Nice work Noel, I love exploring new ground esp in a boat- you get to notice all the other bits you just cannot tell from the shore line.

9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    True words indeed. Running into a sand bar occasionally only adds to the surprises.

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  10. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Love your reports Noel, I have been up as far as about a 1xk past that last lake on the right hand side. Close on 30n years ago now, maybe more.

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Pete.
    Long time no hear. I considered sending a PM to check if things were OK with you and with Sal too.
    Am a bit vague on where you mean but it matters not. There's a lot of water out there even though it's mostly shallow. We were close to 4-5km above the highway bridge.
    Nice place.
    Hope things are good with you. N.

Madfisher, kev209 and creekboy like this.