1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What a shock

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I can't help but write this.
    Much has been said/written in here about our rivers and the potentially dismal future of many. I have joined in and made comment too about growing up in western Vic and fishing in our old river, the Woady Yalloak. It was a wonderful old river, especially to a local kid who 'knew' its waters and its ways. My first and many others, including my biggest Australian trout came from her waters.
    There were pools (we called them holes in those days) that stretched for as much as a kilometre, with up to two metres of water and were around twenty metres wide. It was filled with fish food; yabbies, gudgeon, minnows, mudeyes, pigmy perch, shrimp; you name it, it was there. Brown Trout grew to ten pounds and more but I only got to 9lb 13oz. I only ever caught one rainbow. It was not their sort of water.
    The beautifully coloured redfin (perch) averaged around two pounds in weight but occasionally reached four pounds. There were tench, blackfish, even large silver eels.
    We shot black ducks, teal and most other duck species while walking the shores but the highlight was when we were permitted, during season, to shoot the internationally and erratically flying, Jack Snipe with their long straight beaks. They were a test to any shooter as they rose from the muddy shore at great speed. They never flew a straight line but weaved their way through the air. It was easy to shoot at 'zig' when the bird was already at 'zag'. They were just like quail on the table.
    It's close to sixty years since I left that area. I have been back there several times to see family but had not visited the old river.
    To find an answer to another question, I just checked out the town on Google Earth.
    I am horrified.
    My old river actually shows patches of dry land where I once fished. Other sections show as flat green, signifying that the tall bamboo type reeds had completely taken over those long deep holes. There is little water left. One long hole, while hard to calculate, appears to be only about two metres wide. What we knew as the swimming hole, where we had a diving board, three metres up a tree, above more than two metres of water, no longer exists.
    I have already seen this drying up scenario in three Queanbeyan/Canberra district streams that were once blue ribbon trout streams. To name them; Numeralla, Bredbo and the Queanbeyan River itself. These were running waters, not so deep and having them dry up is perhaps imaginable. To see the old Woady losing two metres of water is incomprehensible.​
    Don't say the climate (and the country) is not changing. I won't believe it.
    Noel
    Writing on a sad day.

2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    It is sad mate, we use to spin fish for Murray cod where the water was so clear you could see the bottom in over 10 feet of water, now if you get a metre of clarity its something to rejoice about.
    Tight lines Pete