1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What do you use?

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    For personal reasons (If I fell and/or became unconscious) I use automatic inflatable life jackets. We are of course supposed to call them PFDs (personal floatation devices) because they don't save every life.
    Two days ago I manually inflated them as part of the service schedule. This is an annual requirement and happily, though they have quite a few years behind them now, with a lot more use for my own, they passed OK. It's a simple job to do, you just have to wait 24hrs to test their inflation sustainability but I usually leave them at least 48hrs. After weighing the CO2 cylinder, I complete a check list I downloaded and keep the dated and completed form in a plastic envelope in a pocket of each jacket.
    I have spoken to guys who never service theirs and to be checked and fail a service date check is considered as not having one at all. It costs about $100 for each jacket that fails and you are probably forced off the water.
    It would be hard to go back to the old pillow type now that's for sure.
    My Canberra fishing mate Monty had his two grandkids on board his 18' boat at Eucumbene and they were playing or something in the cabin. They were about 8 and 10yo I guess. They heard a boat coming alongside and ran out to see what was happening. The regulations are a bit strange. While in the cabin they do not need a life jacket. When they came out onto the deck, they do. But they hadn't of course. It was a Maritime boat and it cost Monty $200, perhaps it was each, for having kids on board without life jackets.
    Noel

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I use a Marlin manual inflatable PFD as in the pic below. I considered an automatic inflatable, but figured that I could end up falling off the kayak practically every time I went for a paddle, the manual was a better choice. More from good luck than good management, I've never fallen off accidently although I have rolled the yak a few times to practice getting back on board.

PFD.JPG

I'm a stickler for preventative maintenance on just about everything that needs maintaining and the PFD gets a thorough check annually as per manufacturers instructions.

Jeff

3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I use the crewsaver crewfit 165 manual it is extremely comfortable and Compact you don't even know that you are wearing it not cheap but I have been very happy with it for the 2 years that I've had it , done one service with it ......
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    blair, diesel, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Mine (3) came from a Geelong manufacturer. The company is called PDF. When I first bought them, largely because they have a mesh pocket on the outside where I keep the remote for the electric winch, sun cream etc, (I never use rub on sun cream. I refuse to get it on my hands) I manually inflated them to test which I thought reasonable. They also have a small pocket inside by the bladder, where I keep the test reports. Next morning one was flat as a biscuit so rang the company, rather than the store. They were horrified and immediately stopped production after I gave them the serial number. I was told to post it back, postage 'to pay by them' and it would be personally delivered to a laboratory in Melbourne to find the fault. It was considered extremely serious. A few days later they rang to say that was all done. Then Greg asked if I had a grey beard? For God's sake, why would he want to know that, so I asked. He said the lab found a short piece of stiff grey hair in the valve and it prevented it from sealing properly. They quickly sent me a replacement and there's no doubt cost them a lot of time and money, for which I could only apologise. They are now about ten years old and recently tested OK so I'm happy. At the time they were around $150 each but all vests are cheaper now.
    Noel
    Money well spent.

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    When I first got into kayaking I bought the cheapest I could find in bcf, not because I really wanted to wear one, but the law said I had to. It was one of those bulky vest types (pic below) that worked well as a flotation devise, but it was a mongrel as far as comfort goes when paddling or a prolonged session flicking lures. 186.JPG

Jeff

blair, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Mine, like all these days are about half that size. Those shown are only little better than the 'pillow' type.
    Noel

7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I had better test my l jacket how do you officially record they have been tested.
    That l jacket in the pic jeff is so bright it would scare off any fish for kilometers, bloody safety laws interfearing whith fishing. Still it could save a life though.
    That was "nice" of the maritime bloke to fine monty, It costs enough as it is to run a boat fair enough if the kids were hanging off the boat all day and he had already had a warning. A bit annoying when they pull you over for an inspection, just doing their job.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Blair, just trying to make a point of how easily we can be caught out. Monty is most safety conscious with the kids (and without). He does not flaunt the rules. The kids virtually ran out to the deck and there was no time for him to stop them.
    My jackets have a place near the serial number where you can sign them. Have no idea if other brands have it. Regardless, I carry a copy of the report sheet, dated and signed, with the serial number, in a pocket of each jacket,
    My personal jacket is a darkish blue and the principle reason I bought it. Hers is red and too bright for my likings. It's almost impossible to get her out in the boat anyway. On those rare occasions she only reads a book or listens to the cricket. Boat has AM/FM radio as well as 27Meg. (and a player that takes a USB plug in).
    Noel
    She'll never be a fisher.

9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I will do that check and document it when I get round to boat maintenance busy building my latest project bike 2012 yz450 bought in pieces which I like so I can check the engine parts, got It for a good price so I can make a good profit out of it trouble is I will probably get quite attached to it and will definatly need do a lot of laps round some mx tracks to check it before selling, should reduce the bulge a bit.