1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What is happening where NSW

Discussion in 'Fishing in New South Wales' started by reelaxation, Sep 14, 2016.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Well lads,

Out side the recent warm current has brought with it a lot of unexpected catches off Sydney and the Nth Coast- with Marlin, Dollies and Wahoo but the expected SBT and YFT season and the Winter Gemfish and Mako runs were little better than disappointing.

IN close things hotted up with big Snapper and Mowies and some Hoodlum Kingfish taken at most reefs up to 150m and in close to Sydney Harbour kings to 13kg were taken and are still being caught in Middle Harbour around the wrecks. Live bait in the form of yakkas and squid were hard to find and you had to persist to get enough for a decent live bait session downrigging.

On the beaches the elusive Jewfish remained elusive- but some good ones have been caught up around Nthn Beaches and further up the central and mid north coasts.
    Whiting in numbers on most beaches and up until the Port Jackson sharks moved in my local area I was catching a dozen or more up to 40cm on live blood worms. The Bream didn't seem to be prevalent and nor did I catch anywhere near as many Taylor and Salmon as previous years. Overall a bit of a disappointing winter and the start of Spring means the baitfish will be returning- along with Bonnies, Taylor, Salmon and smaller Kings into the estuary systems.

Spring also signifies the start of the Bass and EP season so I will be trying to give them a go in the coming weeks. I also anticipate the flatties and flounder to get on the chew so a session up the creek flicking some plastics will also be on the menu.

As soon as I get the boat ready I will be hitting the inshore reefs around Broken Bay and Norah Head areas so hopefully I can get some reports up as soon as I have all this sorted out.

Stay tuned as I will provide more up to date reports from the outside community when they arrive over the coming weeks.

Tight lines all you salty dogs

Anthony
    :)

2. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Top report Mate.

Chook

3. Tinker

Tinker Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Got plenty of relatives over the east coast.
    I can think of many reasons to go visiting them and trying out the fishing over there.
    Great report mate.

4. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Just got a report in from Wahoo Charters running wide of Sydney found a nice temp break and got 2X YFT to 50kg, and report says they saw a big school travelling between and 12mile and Browns on the way back in.

Good news for those going wide over the weekend

:)

5. big gibbo

big gibbo big gibbo

Jul 10, 2009
    Good report mate,
    Im heading down this friday and saturday to have a look but I'm not liking the weather forecast, but hey thats fishing.
    Ill let you know what its was like. The old boy went fishing last wednesday off Juno but only got a shark.
    Cheers Gibbo

6. big gibbo

big gibbo big gibbo

Jul 10, 2009
    Gday Anthony,
    Went out last Friday and Saturday, both days we headed into a 'secret' spot for livies and nippers, got the nippers but no livies so we slipped out to West head and had no luck there either. So we headed out to the FAD but the kiddies got frightened of the swells and we had to retreat back to another special spot at the mouth of the river and managed to bag a couple of small snapper, two pike, a large sergeant baker. Once again the kiddies got sea sick(bugger) so we shifted to Flint and Steel and managed a large array of small reef species which was interesting to see. We next moved to Jerusalem Bay and fished for some smaller fish for the kiddos and caught a lot of small whitting, bream and two flathead that where smaller than the hooks they bit. After about 8 hours of fishing the kids had enough so we packed up and upon winding in the last rod my five year old smashed a 56cm flathead, much to his delight.So thats how we went and ohh it was a cracker weekend
    Cheers
    GIbbo

PA Pete and reelaxation like this.
  7. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Nice to hear you got out Gibbo- Ive heard the livies @ west head have been a bit hard to get for a while now.
    Did you happen to see any of the Salmon and Taylor busting up out the front? I hear they are still hanging around but haven't seen any around Pearl and Patonga in the last few outings and hopefully next week if the swell doesn't jump up I can get out the front near Broken Bay to try for a few- great fun on silly string and hopefully get a few taylor for strip baits for the sand flatties which have come on the chew in recent weeks.

Oh well my saving grace is soon the Bonnies will be back in their droves so a few more weeks for me to get the boat ready for a Sydney harbour run :D

A tip there are some good Pearl Perch up inside Norah Head in around 60-100m bottom bashing aswell as some very nice Long Fin Perch in the mix with some nice pan sized Reds. Also heard through the grapevine that Terrigal is starting to fire... Scotty from Haven Charters said last week they were getting kings to 13kg on live yakkas and squid but they had to work hard for the livies... Im guessing it might get harder to get them before it gets easier, only time will tell.
    My mate Wazza fished Texas last week for Kings, Red's and a lane Amberjack which aren't very common this time of year so things are warming up nicely ahead of summer... Even some are out chasing stickface early in the season hoping for a stripe or a black to be following the current.

Good luck on your future adventures mate

big gibbo likes this.
  8. big gibbo

big gibbo big gibbo

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks Anthony. I wont get down for a while as we are heading for Swaines next week so the fishing budget will take a hit, but only for a couple of weeks. Ill stick a report up after we get back.
    Gibbo

9. big gibbo

big gibbo big gibbo

Jul 10, 2009
    And oh no sign of any fish working the surface either