1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What type of fishing do you like

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Feb 12, 2019.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    The owning a boat days are well and truly over
    These days I prefer freshwater bait fishing, I'm not that keen on saltwater now, I might go to Cunningham pier or Williamstown 2 or 3 times a year. To much cleaning up when I get home.
    I had a go at Fly fishing years ago, after an hour and catching a big tree that was the end of that.
    As for over head gear, I just couldn't do anything right. I found it was harder than it looked.
    Had a go at spinning for a while, got a few fish, and lost heaps of lures.
    Then I got into coarse fishing and loved it, I was working then and spent quite a few bucks on gear, but it was well worth it. Then health issues stuffed things up and that's when most of my gear got sold or given away.
    Now it's back to the basics, cheap gear and drowning worms. It may sound funny but I seem to be enjoying my fishing more these days.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Old fisho, blair, Madfisher and 4 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I often wonder if we go full circle in that we start off fishing in a very basic way, try a few different styles and methods, settle on one or maybe two and then eventually come back to where we started.

My fishing has changed in recent years, mainly as a result of various events in my life. Most of my old fishing mates have reached their used by dates, some fell off their twig and others can't muster the 'get up and go' that they once had. I've had to deal with a couple of age related health issues that have resulted from the rigours of hard yakka through my working life, it has been a reality check for me and had a huge bearing on the way I fish.

The days of venturing into remote areas in my quest for finding un-fished barra waters are behind me, as are the trips offshore chasing big pelagics and I would almost class myself as a member of the white bucket brigade now. I'm happy to sit on the end of a jetty or a river bank and just take it easy, a simple outfit, a few lures or some bait and not have to work too hard for a feed. I still like my kayak fishing in calm back waters mainly because of the peace & quiet that it provides and I also haven't given up on catching that elusive trout - maybe this year.

I haven't quite come full circle yet Kev, but I'm getting close.

Jeff

Old fisho, blair, Madfisher and 3 others like this.
  3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I can pretty well relate to your fishing but a different order. Fly fishing tried that as you said working you spend a bit on gear. I bought a Fenwick and heaps of flys etc After a session I would have won any whip cracking tournament that day. Never tried again thinking about it Living in Balwyn at the time I did my session practicing and surf rod casting on a footy oval so no trees there quite safe. Love float fishing left a few floats up trees even a bit of line with the hook attached to our power line to the house that was when I was off to the pool to check a new float set up. Really loved Surf and Eastuary fishing but hated the seaweed sessions. Cunningham pier 1 loved catching trevely on poles and pinky snapper off the wall to the left as you go the pier. Could go on for ever. But now I am trying spinning not sure whether I like it or not yet even going to give braid another go, the last time 2 nd cast I had a birds nest any wagtail would like to call home. But coarse fishing is my favourite it works and always has but now out of town now and hard work digging and collecting bait when I need it,I will try this lure and plastic fishing.
    Wally

4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    When I was coarse fishing, Lyn wasn't to keen on punnets of maggots in the beer fridge.

Old fisho, creekboy and diesel like this.
  5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Pat was not happy when the power went off for a few hours in the kitchen fridge, and all the chips in the container they were in bubbling up and down. Sometimes she has no sense of humour

6. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Prefer saltwater using bait I chase Bream, 'ting, taylor, salmon, flatties, jewfish, sharks, kingfish and even get out on a boat for the odd pelagic session.
    Dont mind throwing lures around on odd occasion but not really great at it and generally just end up losing expensive lures so I dont really dig it that much LOL

7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    During my younger years when I lived in the Lake Macquarie area, I was really into beach and rock fishing and didn't have to be asked twice to grab my gear and head to places like Stockton Beach or Frazer Park in any sort of weather. After leaving the area and moving around with my work, my fishing styles changed to suit the various locations, but if I had to name just one type as my all time favourite, it would be beach fishing.

I got rid of all my heavy beach gear over the years and only kept one of my light outfits for chasing some of the bread & butter species like bream, flathead and whiting using bait & soft plastics. There is something about walking a beach looking for a gutter, pulling out a couple of quality table fish and then moving on to the next hole and doing it again that I find very rewarding, but unfortunately I don't get the chance to do it much.

Jeff

8. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, guys, and Sandy. Land based on low flat banks fresh or salt, and a fish is considered a bonus. Cheers, Lyall.

9. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I live in northern Vic so fresh it is. Would rather use lures but physically it is a struggle. Sitting down bait fishing is the easiest option for me. Be it chasing cod, yellas, redfin or carp.
    Cheers
    Jim

10. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    When I was a kid, I did a lot of lure fishing, mainly chasing Redfin, and a fair amount of bait fishing. I've even got a fly rod at my Dad's place, was semi-competent with it (despite only catching micro-Redfin on it - once) but I always seem to gravitate back towards bait. That's mainly because I pretty much exclusively target Carp nowadays, and I find bait the most effective method. Bait fishing for me isn't just blindly casting a line in and hoping for the best (although it sometimes is), but I often 'stalk' the Carp by sight-fishing for them and presenting an irresistible piece of bread and/or corn in front of them.

So a bit like you Kev:
    I cringed when I went home during Christmas and opened some of my old lure boxes. Some of them were filled with $30 lures (i.e. Ecogear) that I've hardly ever used in the last 8-9 years. $30 nearly covers my whole set-up these days - and I catch more fish! A telescopic rod, a piece of mono spooled on a plastic shimano reel, bobber float and single hook does me just fine! I guess old habits die hard, I'm yet to try braid and I've never caught a fish on a soft plastic!

diesel, Old fisho, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  11. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Agree definitely beach fishing is my favourite I grew up doing it around Crowdy Head and Harrington with my grandfather- we used to be able to drive on the beaches back then, you could drive for a couple hundred hards and pick a hole, catch some worms and pippies on the spot and throw them straight out... Other days you could drive the entire stretch of sand and find no holes, depending on the tides and swells... I had some of my best sessions on Bream and Ting back then and if I was really lucky I nailed a jewie or some nice fat Dart. Obviously back then bag and size limits werent what they are now. These days the fish I catch are bigger but I catch less of them, I guess that makes it better for those awesome nights when I catch a few bruisers make it worth the wait.

Old fisho, blair, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I certainly envy you, Anthony, having close access to beaches. My nearest beach is 400 kms away and on the odd occasions that I make the trip, I have to watch out for box jellyfish, stonefish, crocs and bull sharks.

We hope to be making a permanent move down south in the not so distant future and hopefully we will settle not too far from a beach. We were thinking that it would most likely be South Oz, but haven't ruled out NSW yet - just closely watching the property market before making a decision. If it is to be NSW, then somewhere north of Newcastle through to Port Macquarie would suit me - good estuaries and great beaches that still produce quality fish.

Jeff

Old fisho, blair, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  13. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Hi guys, I was fishing mad from the time I could walk, started catching tadpoles, then upgraded to galaXIES and crayfish in the local creek. As i got older I saved p and brought a nice spilt cane spinning rod. At first I fished for trout like the old man, a big bunch of worms and a sinker. Then I discovered that if i fished lighter line, got rid of the sinker, and used unweighted worms, or even better grasshoppers my catches quad rippled.
    I also did a bit of trout spinning,but my first love was using unweighed grass hoppers. Mostly you would see the big browns come up and take the hopper. This got me started thinking about fly fishing.
    In 1975 the kid next door to my inlaws brought a fly rod, poor kid I think i practiced with that rod mre then him. I had to teach my self out of a book, not like door today with how to vids on everything.
    Not long after my first wife brought me a 6wt out fit, and that was the last time she seen me.
    Being only in my early 20s I picked it up fairly quickly, and devoured every book on the subject.
    Mostly in them days we fished streams of a day, and fished the lakes of a night,. as the common theory was they where to hard of a day.
    Today I only fish of a night when Bass fishing at St Clair, or camped at Tantangra dam, Like Noel I have evolved into mainly sight fishing. And with the demise of trout, carp fit the bill perfectly.
    Although at 66 and with a few health issues the very long walks of up to 20ks are behind me. I do enjoy bait fishing with the grand kids, but get bored fairly quickly if by my self.
    Now I have passed most of my skills learnt over 60 years on to my sons. Mostly theses days they out fish me, but I still have a few tricks up my sleeve yet to remind them who taught them. LOL
    Cheers Pete

Old fisho, blair, creekboy and 4 others like this.
  14. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Have you ever tried fly fishing for carp? Also, I guess you have other fish near where you live but you are happy with chasing carp? I do remember you starting a saltwater fish pursuit thread on another forum?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Wondering what other species Bender can out fish CC!

15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That bought back some memories for me Pete.

The pic below is me in 1954 with a split cane rod (my 1st rod) that I found at the tip. I couldn't afford a reel for it and used it for catching mullet by just pulling the line in by hand when I had a hookup.

8. Jeff - Warners Bay.jpg

Jeff

Old fisho, blair, reelaxation and 5 others like this.
  16. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I've never fly fished for carp, although I remember wanting to try it as a kid, by 'cheating' and putting some corn on a hook, just so I could catch something on my fly rod. Not sure why, but I never got around to it.

When I moved to the western suburbs I tried my hand at fishing salt water, as there was quite a bit of it around. Caught my first bream, flathead and pinky! Only I did find myself heading up to Cherry Lake more often than not to hook into a Carp or two.

I'm not sure why, can't quite put my finger on it, but I really, really like catching Carp!

CC
    Happy just catching Carp

Old fisho, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  17. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Mate if you can see them fly fishing for carp is great fun. Some of the guys are getting epic catches in lakes like Eppalock.
    Cheers Pete.

18. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Fly fishing for trout is my favorite but don't get to do much. If I loose interest a bit on one species I will go on a 'mission" to fish for another species usually when they are "on". At present if there is some reasonably calm seas will go out and have ago at hooking a marlin and am thinking of having a go at the mullet.
    I too have enjoyed growing up and evolving through the basic fishing and catching the small ones and working my way up like spinning up bream in creeks then on the oyster leases getting bream up to 48cm.
    Nothing more relaxing than sitting on my arse and having a bait fish.

19. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I will start by saying this is a great topic. I read of much experience mixed with loads of sentimentality. Perhaps even some hints of sadness? I started at about age five but the earliest memories of actually catching are of some redfin (we knew them as perch then) and they
    were r
    egularly up to 2lb each in those days. I was probably about nine as I recall. As a teenager I stopped chasing perch using galaxias, or bullheads as we knew them. I wanted to catch trout (and did) using lures. My best Australian trout came from the old home river at 9lb 13oz. I love surf fishing and between fresh and salt, have caught too many species from garfish to marlin to consider naming them. In the midst of it all and one of the greatest loves are my fly rods. What a magic way to fish. I still throw a fly at flathead occasionally and they work of course. I have rarely used bait in the last fifteen years.
    Going full circle? Perhaps; I'm not sure. Certainly like other guys, medical issues have encroached on the time spent but not much on the desire to continue. Perhaps the need to catch fish in so many ways and places was driven by always seeking new challenges. Game fishing I decided was the most boring of all. Seeing your first marlin hook up and bringing it finally to boat is fantastic but there can be a long wait between drinks in the learning stages. I fly fished NZ 12-14 times and had a couple of weeks fly fishing in Tassie but the days when we knew every tree in Eucumbene are still up with the best of them. Pete is right about the challenge of sight fishing; it's an amazing experience. I have caught carp on fly and while they are tough customers, they still have no attraction to me. Growing up in south western Vic where there are none; I learnt nothing of natives. I have caught yellows and one cod but have never seriously chased them. While respecting others' opinions, I never consider catching a fish a bonus. To me there's only one reason to go fishing and that's to catch fish. I work at that. I have created a manuscript based on around 70 years of fishing. One day I will re-read it for perhaps some new motivation. Noel