1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What will you do...

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Rod Bender, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ...or what are you doing to pass time now if you are restricting yourself to staying home. My long term casual job finished off last Monday but I still have a second job which does not provide me with many hours. On saying that, I have about 6 days coming up and I look forward to finishing it. As for my other job, I should be able to restart that by June at the latest. So I am not too concerned. I have it easy compared to the majority of others.

When I do finish my last few days, I am going to have a couple days of doing nothing and then start to do some things around home...including cleaning up my fishing room!
    room 2.JPG
    I also want to spend some time learning some new knots and doing some research online and actually read some of the fishing books I got! I may go fishing in a few weeks if we are still allowed to get out and 'exercise'. On saying that, it may just be on a channel on private property so absolutely nobody will be there. Reality is a break from fishing may help me get an interest back in it. My license expires in June this year.

I have started my veggie garden again and am putting more effort into it. I also have exercises, mainly for my knee, to do and I have been slack. Time to get that going again. I need to remain active. I do not work full time because of my physical condition, so I need to improve so I can do more when I can return. Reality is, I am not likely to get a job anywhere else.

I also need to pay more attention to my finances. I have not even looked at my super! Too scary me thinks! This virus event has not impacted me financially like it has others, but it has changed my views. I need to pay more attention to some aspects...one of which is mental health!

So what is everyone up to?
    cheers
    Jim

blair, Madfisher, creekboy and 5 others like this.
  2. Dickson

Dickson Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    I am hoping that I won't end up in lockdown but the way it is going it is bound to happen. The last 5 years I have worked many hours average 75 a week to not only support my family for now but for the future and honestly I could do with a break but not confined I think I would drive the wife mad;). I hope this makes our society better and less self centered the younger ones don't understand and find it had to accept being told what to do. They will realise in time that it's the worst of their problems. What is happening now is a wake up call for everyone and we will see who stands up.

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Things aren't going to change all that much for me. The plans I had for a trip to Darwin and the Kimberleys have been put on hold, likewise any thoughts of visiting Tassie at the end of the year and there wont be any fishing trips to the coast for a while, but I've still got a few local spots where I can throw a line in.

Now that it is starting to cool down, I'll spend a bit of time on the sapphires to generate some income. I'm going to knock a bloody big hole through the rock wall where that fluoro light is laying in the pic below and hopefully find a good lead.

122) View from the hoist.JPG

I'll also spend a bit of time cutting firewood, some for myself and some for a few of the old-timers who are no longer capable of doing it themselves.

I've got plenty of things to keep me occupied.

Jeff

Madfisher, blair, Dickson and 4 others like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Just to add to my last post, one thing that we all need to do is to keep on posting here on the forum. Write anything at all, share your thoughts if you have a need to and try not to let the situation beat you.

The catch phrase of the government at the moment is "on the other side" and when we do get to wherever that might be, I really do hope that all us TBXers are still on the roll call.

Stay safe & healthy, both physically and mentally.

Jeff

blair, Madfisher, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Jeff. No idea why I couldn't find it other than looking in the wrong places.
    I relate to your quoted sentiment totally Jeff. As I said recently, I remain thankful to have TBX as a social outlet I can use without going out. Here's a classic example of some waffle being posted.
    At 80, I'm on the list of older people and certainly qualify as having a chronic medical condition. it seems I'm more liable than many others to catch the wog. I have to accept that as the way it is. I am trying to avoid going out at all. Of course it's safe to assume my time is limited. I just can't see the point of advancing it even by a day.
    Though fairly limited with physical stuff, I have been out in the garden for a few days. I don't last long before I have to quit for the day but have the vegie garden looking good with more stuff to plant yet.
    The hardest part is working at ground level. Bending over soon has me feeling a bit dizzy and I must stop. In spite of that, I am pleased to still be able to achieve something. That's why I fish lures etc as I can stand up all day and cast plastics without much difficulty.
    Being a bit different, I spend some time most days playing the challenge series of spider solitaire on the laptop. If you think that's weird, you're probably right but I played at the 'master' level and two days ago, reached level 500 without losing a game. That is a hell of a lot more than simply 500 games. It's a lot more games than that. Playing two suits at that difficulty level certainly keeps the grey matter more than ticking over and I now have the dubious honour of being classed as a 'grand master'. Reaching that level has taken over a year to achieve. The longest game to date took 6 3/4 hours over several days to break it. The shortest time was 6min and 8 secs.
    I might have a few medical disadvantages but I know only too well that many would swap me places. I wouldn't swap them for quids.
    Noel
    Long live TBX and its people

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    blair, diesel, Madfisher and 3 others like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    While not normally prone to skiting, at least more than several times a day, as proof I attach image. SPIDER 500.png
    Old fishermen don't tell lies. Their memories expand.
    Noel

creekboy, blair, diesel and 3 others like this.
  7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I guess that staying home more now means very little as Pat and I love each other’s company. The only thing that we miss is our youngest daughter who with her husband is stuck in London they will need help soon as she is pregnant with identical twins. She has been told she will have to have a caesarean op when due in August ,they already have a two year old and a 4 year old. Her husbands contract finishes at the end of April and they hope to be back in May for the birth.
    Could you imagine two Australians and two identical Poms in the Sam family.
    Wally

creekboy, Madfisher, blair and 3 others like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I believe you have made a place in the world when you open the front door as I did earlier.
    I saw what I thought was a small sheet of brown paper. Investigation proved that wrong.
    It was a hand made card from Jack next door. Jack's a nice little bloke as is his younger sister Lily
    and he has not long started school.
    I don't have words to describe how he changed the start of my day.
    I'll settle for BEAUTIFUL, KIND, EVEN OVER THE TOP and among the nicest experiences imaginable.
    Find a couple of pics below.

IMG_20200330_154252.jpg
    IMG_20200330_154319_1.jpg
    There's no more I could say
    Noel

9. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Well it all fits, what am I going to do tomorrow.

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

creekboy, blair, Old fisho and 4 others like this.
  10. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Our daughter and her family live in Michigan and things are not sh#t hot over there. She rings most day to check on us, and lets us know what's happening over there.
    We can't help worrying about them, and with the idiot they have running the country I wish they were in Australia.

creekboy, blair, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I've got another chest infection and went to the GP last week. When I told him what was wrong he said if you have got a temperature I'm ringing an ambulance to take you to Hospital. Temp was ok so more antibiotics and the flu jab. Tablets will clear things up for while then it's back to square one.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    creekboy, Madfisher, blair and 3 others like this.
  12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    That's not good Kev. I use WhatsApp messenger on my IPhone all text's free. keep in touch any where text day or night. good if you are ringing save their money. Wally

Madfisher, creekboy, blair and 4 others like this.
  13. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I don't know what we would do without WhatsApp ( and face time) Wally

creekboy, Madfisher, blair and 4 others like this.
  14. Dickson

Dickson Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Keep safe Kev:)

creekboy, blair, diesel and 3 others like this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    If I took a poll around the site- the response would show you'd have to hang around the site for a long while yet.
    Take care old mate.
    Noel

creekboy, Madfisher, Dickson and 3 others like this.
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The inconsistency in information from different authorities causes a lot of confusion.

NSW:
    www.fishingworld.com.au/news/can-i-go-fishing-in-nsw

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/nsw-maritime-stay-home-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak

VIC:
    http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/can-i-go-fishing-in-victoria

https://www.fishingworld.com.au/new...&utm_term=asked boaters to cancel their plans

QLD: No advice whatsoever.

Once again, we see a lack of uniformity and standardisation between the states. We are 1 country & 1 people being faced with a crisis that does not recognise state borders or rules and regulations, but we seem to hang onto the past where each state and territory was regarded as a separate colony with different laws and it's not just fishing, it's the whole damn shooting match.

You've only got to look at the difference between the states and territories in the enforcement and prescribed penalties relating to gatherings of people to see that it is the old colonial attitude of "we will do it our way, not your way" and unless the whole country pulls together in the same direction with the same set of rules and the same penalties for those who don't toe the line, we will go the same way as the US.

Daily rant over, climbing down off box. As you were, carry on. :mad:

Jeff

17. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    X2

creekboy, Dickson and blair like this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Aye aye sir.
    The division of people, seemingly by pollies, not the people, is ridiculous.
    As said the difference in penalties between Vic and NSW is beyond my simple comprehension.
    Noel
    Doesn't need a box. Can do it from the ground.

19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I like the bit about the young people needing to learning from this and making our society better.

20. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Looks like TBX members will get through this virus no prob heres some of what I have been doing. 2012 yz450 and 1977 YZ125D. Bought the 450 in parts the engine completely apart, which I like so I can see where its at, replaced some gearbox bearings and worn piston rings and fitted new titanium valves and seals and swingarm bushes it recently had a lot of work done on it the bike is like new. 125 in foreground is completely rebuilt/restored but had a stuck damper valve so I removed bump stop from that shock and fitted it to other shock that needed bump stop and damping is adjustable so bike is now 100% I liked where the shock damping was stuck anyway but the bike is for sale so want it in perfect working order. Also made my own shock regassing setup. one day I will figure out how to place text next to each pic. 100_1378.JPG
    100_1377.JPG
    100_1375.JPG