1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by Wunderlust, Sep 28, 2009.

What should it be?

1. Lancruiser

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Patrol

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Other 4x4

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    I'm looking at buoying a new 4x4 toy and considering either a Landcruiser or a Patrol.

What would be better, something that is able to tow a trailer tent or a boat.

2. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    depends on what your gonna spend and what you wanna use it for mate. i bought a 60 series lc for 5 k. has gone anywhere ive put it so far. you gonna do series 4x4 ing or just touring? if your budget is around the 20k mark, id buy a td 80 series. best 4x4 ever made!!! you could get a td 80 for as little as 12 but check them over carefully as one this cheap would not be well looked after.

as i said the cheaper option could be 60 series, but they are leafs all round so are a little rough to ride in, but VERY VERY reliable.

a gq would be good, as they too have coils, however have a few more probs than an 80 series, and are not as reliable!!

3. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    Cheers Chris - it would be an alrounders pulling a boat, 4x4 camper trailer so a bit of off road work also.

Tim

4. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    I got a Pajero, 2wd most of the time meaning less fuel - running costs. AWD or 4WD when I need it and you can do that on the fly

5. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

I dont know where you got this from but its not how the story goes.

Toyota builds some good trucks.But they are nowhere near as tough as a patrol in running gear.The 80 series is a good truck.In stock diesel without a turbo its a wheezer lacking a bit in grunt.

The gq patrol can lack a little in the grunt without a turbo.But makes up for it in the running gear.The diffs and axles are very tough(under nearly normal conditions) and the LSD in the patrol rear works very well.

Everyone i know who has had a toyota for any length of time has always had to rebuild/reco a diff or gearbox.This includes even late model trucks.

Patrols are not without their problems.But i have found that the 4.2 diesel is the pick.I wouldnt own a 3litre t/d.Have seen too many blow up.The 2.8 TD goes well but i still wouldnt own one.

I like toyota and nissan.They both have their goods and bads.But my pick for reliability and awesome onroad and offroad is the nissan.

This is only my opinion,which i have based on what i have seen in my time.Its not a dig at toyota either.Its just the basic facts.

6. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

How much you want to spend?And how many passengers?

7. Timbo

Timbo Member

Nov 4, 2008
    I have a 3ltr diesel GUIII patrol and has not missed a beat. Before that i had a GQ and the only thing it done was a head. petrol/ gas version. Otherwise running gear will not let you down. Great trucks. I have now coming a diesel Navara twin cab ute for work and selling my Patrol so we will see how we go with this one.

8. Brownie

Brownie New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    At the mine that i work at they use predominatly toyota but there is a mix of nissan in there too they both take the royal beatings and all suffer breakages (the nature of mining) but there are still vehicles there with 200k or more km on them both makes and they still go well. I would probably take either given i got what i wanted for the right price.Its a ford holden thing i think.Brownie

9. big gibbo

big gibbo big gibbo

Jul 10, 2009
    I agree with brownie, I work underground and yep its a holden ford thing as both rigs are good.
    Cheers Gibbo

10. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    perhaps i should clear my statement up..... :goofy: the 80 series has a notoriously piss weak front diff. patrols have a notoriously strong rear diff with a great lsd. the 2.8 patrol wouldnt be the best pick as its a reasonably heavy car to start off with, so towing with it is a no no.

it sort of is a holden ford thing, and we could all argue till the cows come home. never ever buy a patrol on gas!!!! and the 3ltr's i think have been nicknamed "time bombs" as they are renowned for blowing up!!

the 80 series souunds like the pick,(for me anyway) if you can afford it. i think they hold their value more which is a good sign.

do yourself a favour and look at all the online car sale ect and do some homework. google the car your after. test drive them and even tow your boat if your able to.

11. DT

DT New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Cant beat a Patrol never had any probs apart from the odd flat
    me personaly would go and bye a few 4wd action mags they come with a dvd every issue and have plenty of 4wd vehicles in the mags with shitloads of action on the dvd,s.
    Nissan vs Toyota mmm i no the answer to that one lol :)
    If yu want a 4wd just for beach fishing cant go past a Pajero as they are very good in soft sand and they are very light
    cheers

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  12. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I am with you on the Turbo 80 series. Best 4x4 ever built. Patrols do have great running gear, but unless you're a tuff track trucker, better to go with something that is better everywhere else. The HJ61 Turbo diesel 12HT motor (in the 60 series) has miles more grunt than the 80, and better fuel economy, but unfortunately the 60 series toyotas are leaf springs all round.

I have a 81model 60 series, was given to me from my mum, who purchased it new. Naturally aspirated 2H diesel, 5speed, 370k's was our family tourer taking us on many fishing trips around the country. Tows my 455 Trophy, full of gear at 110km/h all day long with the air-con on. RockCrawler springs and Rancho 9000 in cab adjustable shocks makes it ride and handle great, but still no match for coiled corners.

Also, don't leave out the 90 series Intercooled Turbo Diesel Prado. My brother has one, gets 9L/100K's empty highway driving, and 12L/100K's towing my boat. It is not short of power when towing, thats for sure. And great to ride in.

My ultimate Hybrid would be-
    80 series Cruiser
    Patrol Diffs, Gearbox, Transfer
    60 series 12HT Engine with Denco Intercooler.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  13. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

You have said in another thread that you know NOTHING about nissan so there is no arguement anyway.And its not about the holden ford thing either.I already said i like both.Never buy a patrol on gas?????Apart from using lots of fuel(the same amount as a petrol 80 series) they work fine.

Toyota VS nissan parts is like chalk and cheese.The nissan parts cost a lot less.Toyota have a better resale value but lets see how this goes in the future.Nissan have dropped the bid six and toyota made the 200 series which is a flop.

Do youself a favour tim,buy a nissan mate.

14. corko111

corko111 New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    wl. a very importent part of this is how much you want to spend and other circumstances..
    i am going through this at the moment and due to my circumstances i am looking for a prado. my circumstances being 3 kids, mainly highway to work and back and the odd 4=4 trip which involves med level 4*4.
    cruiser v patrol well i would say patrol all day however crisso the 2.8 which you say you wouldnt look at is ment to be the best motor out of them all even though it lacks a little power. i personally have done many a trip in the 4.2 which has prooved more than adequate in all circumstances and although thirsty can be driven on a highway at acceptable consumption.
    if you have 20 g for instance you could buy an 80 series which is rather outdated now or for a little extra buy the current model patrol which would be my choice.
    drive the two and if 95% of your driving is on the road like most it wont take you long to get sick of the cruiser wander which most have.
    saying all thast bulls**t dont count the prado out mate its a f**king great car and handles better than the bigger models in /MOST situations.

15. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    My 4.2 diesel patrol is getting 12l/100km on the highway and a bit more around town.

16. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    wharf....... perhaps ive learnt alot since i posted that? now i have my own car and im right into it im learning lots. you only have to do some homework and searching , google patrols on gas :lol:!! most will be expected to do more than 1 head, at 1000$ a pop its a costly exercise. NISSAN and most head reconditioners will not warranty a gq head that runs on gas.

corko, i wasnt saying(or at least didnt mean to infer) that the 2.8 is ****. it is constantly refferred to as gutless, so why would you wanna tow with it when it struggles to move itself?? im sure they are a great motor, as the hilux 2.8 is.

Wharf, i was referring to resale value of the 80 series, seeing they wont be making any more of those no need to wait for the future, there is a reason they are still fetching a premium price. i also never said to buy the 80 series petrol, no need to mention that either as its a thirsty bugger. td = turbo diesel.

as mentioned each to their own, i will not lose any sleep over your decision, but just make sure its something you look long and hard into and take your time!!. good luck mate

p.s get onto 4wd action forum and do some searching, the guys there know heaps and its taught me ALOT!!;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  17. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    That is where you and I differ.I dont need to google it.

18. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    so you know what im talking about with gas? lol............... never mind wharf, tim you google it

19. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    No not the gas,In general

20. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I realise you may drive a Patrol Wharf, but different people have had different experiences with all these vehicles. Me personally, am a Cruiser man. dad bought a patrol new in 2000, cooked it towing our spray rig (that our 83 model cruiser ute had pulled for the previous 6 years), Nissan wouldn't fix it, so he pissed it off and now has another Cruiser.
    I live at Moree in Northern NSW, it is flat, hot dusty and rough, and most 4x4 vehicles up here are Toyotas. It's definately not because they are cheap, its because they are tougher and more reliable.
    Maybe you should "google" some more info on the 200 series.... The safest and smartest 4x4 in the country (and nearly the most expensive :wideyed:), and with a suspension upgrade and barwork, one of the most capable. Makes the "NEW" Patrol look like a boy playing a mans game. As with all new vehicles, the 200 has some flaws, but thats what happens when you develop a completely new vehicle, not just put a new grill on an old one.

Wunderlust,
    If you're after a bit of advice mate, how about a few more details, like how much do you wanna spend for a start:D:D
    Otherwise, all you're gonna get is a pissing contest about the last 30 years of Nissan vs Toyota.