1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by Wunderlust, Sep 28, 2009.

What should it be?

1. Lancruiser

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Patrol

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Other 4x4

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Im a cruiser man,well there you go.Cant add anything to that.

A little while after the 200 series came out the 100 series actually went up in value.You know why????Because the 200 was a piece of junk.My boss sold his 100 series for close to 10k more than he paid for it.They are still a piece of junk.No live axles.100 series was the last decent 4wd wagon toyota had made.The 70 series does make a nice troopy/wagon.But it has leaf springs in the arse.

No pissing contest here,Les Siviour has won the last 15 years of outback challenges in the standard catergory in his nissans.

Our all-new GU Patrol has continued the success of its predecessors by winning the Australian Off-Road Racing Championship (Class 7 for production four-wheel drives) - Patrol's 15th consecutive victory in this most demanding sport and, for driver Les Siviour, his 14th title. This is believed to be a worldwide first for GU Patrol.
    And with consistent driving throughout the series, combined with a number of retirements in the final race, Les' daughter, Bobbielee Siviour, claimed second place in the championship driving her Navara Dual Cab 4x4.
    The final round of the National championship was held on 28th-29th November at Springfield, just outside Brisbane.
    Evenseasoned competitors said conditions on the new racetrack were the toughest they had encountered - the many river crossings and mud holes made worse by recent heavy rains in south-east Queensland.
    With points in the bag from his wins in the earlier championship races, Les just had to start the final round to ensure victory for Patrol. He did so emphatically by recording the fastest time in prologue (qualifying), and leading Class 7 from start to finish in the two-day, 400km event. For 19 year-old Bobbielee (navigated by Katie, her 16 year-old sister), the task was more difficult. To finish second in the title she had to beat the new high- tech Evolution Pajero driven by experienced competitor Geoff Pickering from Townsville.

However, once again the Pajero proved too fragile and, after damaging the car in the prologue, Pickering did not make the start of the race.
    In a display of great maturity and sheer determination, the Siviour girls brought their Navara home, securing enough points to claim second in the Class 7 National championship. Success in this tough sport proves once again Nissan products are the undisputed kings of toughness, durability and performance, even in the most demanding circumstances.

2. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    All that says to me mate is that if I want a 4WD to do 100 mile an hour for about 5000 km's I should get a Patrol. Pity real life involves doing tens of thousands of km's at slower speeds.
    I met Les a couple of years ago at Broken Hill, had his Patrol on the trailer, going to a race stage outside BH. He's a nice bloke, didn't see his daughters though. :)

3. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Thats funny,i have done well over 120k in mine trouble free?Must have got a lemon hey.

4. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    thanks for the offroad racing info wharf..... i really do mean that. so tim if you wanna join the offroad racing scene, buy a nissan, for everything else buy an 80 series ;) ha ha ha. when is nissan going to evolve the patrol? or are they happy with their race car as it is?

im sure if they ever do, they too will have teething problems just like the 200 series, but thats another story.
    if you were after bucket loads of opinions tim ya sure post up the wright topic ;) :lol:

5. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    there has also been numerous tales of lc's going round the clock, and even up to 800,00 k's with no SERIOUS repairs needed.

6. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    landrovers are the go, forget ya landcruisers and patrols. Series I all the way. Back in my teens used to pull chicks with and it could handle everything i threw at it when shooting.

7. Brownie

Brownie New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    just i little of my bobs worth i said earlier that some of the nissan's and cruisers at work had around 200k or more on them and it's my opinion that a mile in a mine would be equal to five in the real world, and both vehicles perform well, It's my honest belief that for the recreational 4x4er who wants to trek around a bit either vehicle would be suitable, not only nissan or toyota,i have owned both and had little trouble with eithjer of them, i know what i prefer but it's only my opinion,personal preferences are very hard to persuade.. Brownie:goofy:

8. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Did you google that,hahahaahaha

9. TempesT

TempesT New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    A few things here I disagree with,

Fear not chrisso there is a new Patrol in the pipe and it is heading towards the urban assault vehicle. of the 100/200 Yotas but is still a better looking car than the 200's.

[/QUOTE]or are they happy with their race car as it is?[/QUOTE]

It is true that the current patrols running gear is renowned as being all but bullet proof and as such are quite often the basis for a comp build up. However a race truck they are far from.

:goofy:yeh and its that easy. If it was my decision I would go for a diesel in one of the following.

2-5k --- 60series yota

4-10k ---- GQ patrol all the way. Just go the 4.2 in manual. Extremely tough car, although doesn’t ride as nice as the newer cars.

10-20K ---- 80 series Yota; these are considered to be the last tough cruiser. They eclipse there newer models in their capability in the bush esp in ride and practicability Make sure you get a manual if you got the deisel as the td autos are gutless.

20-30k ---- Gu patrol. A better car on and off than the 80's DONT TOUCH THE 3.0LT TD'S esp the 2000/01's they are a time bomb.

So what is wrong with the zd3.0 as they have more power right? The sensors fark up and feed the ECU bad readings, this leads to the turbo over boosting... holes in pistons ect... and thats how they got the name grenade. Boost and egt gauges are a must and a build date after 2002. Although people are still having their engines blow.

4.2's,
    The one problem they did have was they throw 5th gear in the 4.2TD manuals on early GU's. Owners were not reading there manuals and towing heavy loads in 5th. This was fixed buy 02-03?

Some GU's experience overheating when towing on hot days... once again spotties covering the grill and wound up boost.
    I have a 99 4.2TD GU, 240,000 and it hasnt had an easy life but it also gets well looked after, Im very happy with my car.

10. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    ha ha ha ha:goofy: give it a rest :wacko: just one of many things ive learnt along the way.

Tempest i was refferring to it as a race car as it was wharfs arguing point as to why it was better:dull:...... anyway........... in the end its up to tim as to what he decides is most suitible for him.keep in mind if doing a bit of heavy 4x4 i wouldnt wanna take a 30,000 car into it.

i dont think ill have any more input into this topic.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  11. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Why would you buy a thirty thousand dollar 4x4 and not take it bush?

12. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    when you live in toorak? oh hang on that would be a $100,000- fourby... lol

13. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

We get plenty of them here too.

14. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    would you be worried bout dingin it up, scratchin the paint, and just the little bits of damage that occurs when you go out? i know i cant afford to be repairing it constantly, i guess it depends where you go, but where i go, its can be a tight squeeze and scratches are way too common

15. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    If i buy a 4wd that is what i use it for.Scratches are part of going bush and getting dirty.Might aswell buy a race car and never race it just incase you crash it or get bugs on the front of it.

16. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    exactly, mates of mine buy em brand new and i dont think they see a scratch in their life.

17. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    for it seems a waste to go and buy a 70 k cruiser and use it for bush, why would you? your 70k would be well and truly down the crapper, you can do all the same tracks in a 5k 25yr old truck, and it doesnt matter what you do to it :)

18. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Yes i would.A brand new troopy would look good sitting in my driveway.They cost 70k no problems.IT WOULD see the bush

19. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009

I pick up my new Hilux this week , and guess what? Its going bush this weekend.
    Thats what they are built for and thats what I bought it for , pics to follow..........