1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by Wunderlust, Sep 28, 2009.

What should it be?

1. Lancruiser

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Patrol

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Other 4x4

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008

well if it was ME, id be buying secondhand, ill never own a new 4wd thats gonna see bush. as soon as it does the value drops soo much. IMO

buy one thats already got a few scratches on it and save thousands. enjoy the new rig dave. did you go the d4d???

2. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Well im not you and i dont buy things to wrap them in cotton wool.I actually use them.How many new lures have you got in the original boxes because your too worried about loosing them or scratching them?????

3. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    LOL....... none!!! but how many 70,000$ lures do you own?

anyway. ill drive my old car, im happy with that. i personally dont see the point spending big bucks on cars to take bush, but thats my opinion.anyway wharf you dont own a 70,000 4wd do you? not sure why were are arguing, i just said I WOULDNT BUY ONE!!!!

4. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

70k lures hahahahahha.OK how about 70k boats?Would you feel the same?
    Or would you never buy one incase it got scratched?.It doesnt matter how much my truck cost me i treat it the same as a 5k shitter or a 70k new truck.

5. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes mate , duel cab SR5 d4d.
    We had a early 2007 model up untill last october when some dumb bitch pulled out on the missus and the missus hit her at 80 clicks. Result was a written off hilux but the missus and our then 2 year old walked away unharmed.

6. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    cool, my old man has the sr5 too, good truck to drive!! first gear is too high though

7. chrisl

chrisl New Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Depends how big the boat is also. We have been using a Nissan X-Trail for a long time now. Small, less fuel, but a huge towing capacity for it's size.

8. truebluefishing

truebluefishing New Member

Jul 10, 2009
    in my opinion nothing beats a 4.2 turbo diesel patrol, they have the toughest drive train of all, really depends what you want to do in it, if you intend on doing hard core 4x4 go for the patrol with the solid front axle and coil springs, if its more for towing and light duty touring, then the cruiser with its IFS front end will be more comfortable.

9. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    if you really want to go 4wheeling ya cant go past a modified sierra.
    diff locks are $250 and they are unstopable:D the best of both worlds is to have a pajero for the HWY and light bush work, the 3.2 diesel/auto is great to drive, then have a modified sierra for the bush.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    How much did you have to spend (ball park) to modify the zooks suspension?Im thinking of making some longer shackles for mine.Just enough to lift it 2 inches.Mine has no roof or roll bar,so i havent given it a good workout on rough stuff.The drag link is bent like a banana and it steers real good one way and let just say not so well other.Next trip i will have to fix the link and free the stuck handbrake.I pushed it with my patrol a few metres and it wouldnt unlock.

11. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    honestly mate i have less then $300 in the suspension, it is just a collection
    of bits that i had laying around. a drag link is around $100 for a new genuine one from these fellas.
    you will just need to know if you have a wide track or a narrow track.
    BBM Motorsports | 4WD & Japanese Performance Parts, Components | Kings Park NSW

if you want some suzuki related info or access to cheap parts try
    this forum auszookers Forums Home

i built my roof and winch bar from a gate that i stole of a mate;)

12. CodTaimer

CodTaimer Wicko

Feb 8, 2009
    I went other as im proud of my Navara D22... and a little bias

13. yellafella

yellafella the hammock camper!

Nov 30, 2009
    patrol hands down :p heard nothing but bad news bout the new toyota v8's

14. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    definitlaey the cruiser mate cant kill em same as any toyota 4wd

15. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    haha there is a lot of toyotas killed where i live.:D

[​IMG]

although my work ute seems to be quite strong
    [​IMG]

16. rennie

rennie New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Personally I believe the GQ Patrol with the 4.2 D engine is probably one of the toughest 4wd ever made. The engine and box especially have been quoted as truck parts several times to me. However i have heard a lot of problems with the 3.0L models. I do not know too much about the landcruisers so I wont comment.

17. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    jesus christ shep thats 1 hell of a load you got on there

18. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    haha we get supplied by a barge once a week and i like to fit it all on in one go.:D

19. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Lolol, well traction wouldn't be a problem :p

20. keegan

keegan New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    ha ha well my mates old man is a deisel mechanic. he fixes heaps of nissans and rodeos not many toyotas