1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Pausing between main and dessert over dinner last night, while sharing it with Ray Wilkes and his lovely Sharon, I asked my dear friend Ray if he had a $10 note in his pocket and if he'd put it on the table. He did both.
    The conversation went like this.
    Noel..... You're not going to lose it, nor am I going to cut it in half on you.
    Ray..... OK, what happens next?
    Noel..... I'm about to make a suggestion. Depending on 'your' decision, nothing else, you can either put it back in your pocket or you give it to Boss to keep.
    Ray..... OK again.
    Noel..... accept that my fishing days are numbered and 2020 could well be my last fishing year. That's a bit sad. I'd prefer to go out in a blaze of glory, not struggling to find a fish of any sort. There's an acceptance that I am physically failing in a number of areas and of course at this age there's no hope of it improving and being able to do what I once did.
    Ray..... That's sad but you can rely on a couple of people to take you out when they go.
    Noel..... That's my whole point. I need to go when 'I' want to go and the point has been reached when I can no longer go alone and that's my favourite way to fish.
    Ray..... OK, but what's with the $10 note?
    Noel..... I have no idea which will come first, me falling off my perch permanently or simply becoming unable to go at all. Now we get to the $10 note. Whichever comes first is irrelevant. I will no longer need my old boat. If you give that $10 to Boss, when I can no longer use it, for whatever reason, it's your boat and you'll have legally bought it. If you put the note back in your pocket, the conversation and subject end. The fact that it's purpose built for here, (and it works as you well know) is no longer important. The truth is it's now 50 years old, being built in early 1970. It has a brand new electric on the front and all the ancillary equipment is included. You know the 40 on the back runs it along fairly quickly and it's easy to cover a lot of water if it's needed. Because of its age, a selling price would be so low as to be not worth worrying about. I'd get more pleasure from giving her away to someone who knows and might appreciate her.
    Ray..... I'm staggered. The little boat I bought was a decision made without knowledge. I'll never feel comfortable with it, where I'd go anywhere in yours because it's so stable. I've never been so flattered and honoured in my life. Now I don't know what to say or how to say it other than 'we love you two'. Jean, would you like to pick up YOUR $10 note?
    Noel..... My friend, you are not the only one with a little tear in your eye. Like we care about yourselves, I love my old boat. All I ask is a good home for the old girl. This not a spontaneous action; we talked about it here a few nights ago and both agree it would be a nice thing to do if you had an interest. You haven't disappointed me (as I actually wiped away a tear with a tissue). When that fateful day arrives, after the smoke clears and things get back to normal, just come and collect YOUR boat and you will have made me happy. Meanwhile, let me share it with you a few times. That done, now let's enjoy the dessert.
    And we did, adding a toast to it all.
    What would you do?
    Noel

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    What a gesture Noel you really are one of life's true gentleman unfortunately a Dying Breed......
    All the best for the future mate

3. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Magnifico ,As Tac said you are one of natures gentleman. I think a great outcome all round. I might do something similar with my boat and kids.
    Pete.

4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Your boat is going to a good home.

5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thank you guys, you are most kind.
    Noel

6. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    That is possibly the best post I've ever read on any forum ever.
    Noel, you're a class of person the world needs a lot more of. Absolutely love your work.
    In terms of what I'd do; I hope the same as you've done.

7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    You're a born flatterer Tim but thank you
    Noel

blair and creekboy like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Tim, another subject.
    Any news on coming this way in a few weeks?
    Fishing might be tough but that's life.
    We'd love to see you all
    N

blair, Madfisher and creekboy like this.
  9. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    G'day Noel,

At the moment we're trying to figure that out. :)
    In summary, the family friend who owns the place we stay at is no longer loaning/renting it out....although they may make an exception for us (it's not totally clear in the correspondence to date). If they are still happy for us to come down, then absolutely yes, we'll be down in 2-3 weeks. If they're not happy for us to use it (which while massively disappointing, is entirely fair enough), then we need to come up with another plan which is something we're also working on.
    Regardless of where we end up and when, I expect to be down there within the next month and we'll definitely drop you a line and come up with a date where we can meet up again.
    (The lack of fishing won't stop us coming down......but I don't want to say that too loud here..... ;))

blair, Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  10. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Another brilliant post, Noel. Best of luck for the future to both you and Jean. Lyall. ( creekboy )

blair, Old fisho and Madfisher like this.
  11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thank you Lyall, that is a kind comment, accepted with gratitude.
    Any news on the postponed op yet?
    Noel

creekboy and blair like this.
  12. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. Still working on it, hoping for late June-early July. Fingers crossed. Lyall.

blair, Old fisho and Madfisher like this.
  13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Noel I am lost for words you are so kind.
    Wally

creekboy, blair and Old fisho like this.
  14. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    A class act as they use to say.
    Pete

creekboy, blair and Old fisho like this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I read these beautiful things and humbly say 'THANK YOU'.​
    But spare a thought for my friend Ray who earned all this without doing anything but be his gentle caring self.
    His good lady Sharon too who cares deeply about our welfare and is always first here if she thinks there's something we may need a hand with or need to know, as we learned during the fires that burnt 79% of our shire and took away 501 homes. Sharon was always looking for ways to help us but we really are quite independent in most things.
    Ray's a lovely bloke who I am pleased and proud to call 'my friend'.
    He's the one the world should be modelled on.
    As a retired electrical engineer with a lifetime of service in the RAAF, and all around the world, he is acutely aware of the problems facing us all and fears for the future, as we all should.
    Noel
    Bless them both

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020