1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Which coloured lenses?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    I am eventually going to replace the polarized glasses that I have. One pair is yellow tinted to enhance light...I will be getting another one of those.

Any suggestions for lens color for freshwater fishing on bright days? Also, I guess there are different materials that the lenses can be made out of, if so, how do they rate in quality?

I will be getting them made at my optometrist.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Should have went to Specsavers!

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I think Howard (Bluefin) could be the man to answer that Jim. From what I have seen with others wearing brands like Spotters, Mako etc, they seem to be a fashion statement more than practical polarized glasses - I could be wrong.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I have a preference for the copper/amber coloured lenses. Can't really articulate why, just a personal preference.

Your question did pique my interest though, and I typed 'which lenses are better for fishing' into the Google machine and came up with this interesting article:

https://breaklineoptics.com/blogs/our-blog/rebuttal-lens-color-does-matter-for-fishing

According to the article, 'Copper/brown/amber lenses block high amounts of blue light to heighten contrast and visual acuity...Since copper lenses block out blue light, they allow you to focus and better distinguish objects from each other in the water, thus making them more suitable for sight fishing"

Proceed with caution though. Apparently "you can go broke buying glasses for every situation".

CC
    Keeping an eye out for Bender and his wallet o_O

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I wear glass makos sort of brown/copper tint, good for freshwater and works well in salt.
    They look really cool as soon as I put them on lots of really hot chicks start hanging around and start wanting to fish whith me and ask me for my number etc.

5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Further to the above...my yearly eye tests have revealed that I now need reading glasses. I have also spoke to the optometrist/sales person regarding getting some polarised glasses. They mentioned that they have the script for me whenever I decide to do it. This may have been said by sales person rather than optometrist.
    My question...if I only need glasses to read, do I really need polarised sunnies to be made with the same script that the reading glasses will be cos that is what I am assuming is going to happen! Then I wonder if they will change my vision at a distance making things look closer and I will be hurling lures across the channel into the fkn canola field! I will speak to the optometrist about this but just want a bit of an idea. Although I don't think they will try and rip me off by selling me more than I need.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Should have went to Specsavers!

6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    nah mate, just get normal polarised sunnies, I wear cheapo reading glasses when required 2.0 power, gradually working my way up to coke bottle bottom glasses.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Jim, if you have not already tried you may find like most yellow glasses, that if you are in your car and it is pelting down with rain and you put them on the windscreen will be clear as if it was not raining. So maybe a good use for them . Cheers Wally

8. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Oh Boy, Here we go.
    Yellow night driving lenses, Make things appear brighter, Because of the receptors in our eyes being most sensitive to yellow, But they absorb 10 to 15% of the available light.
    Wearing sunglasses at night to combat glare from car headlights, Works really well. BUT you may as well turn your headlights off as you loose 80 to 85% of available light. Yes people do it !!!
    Lens colour fishing? Brown is best for flats, Blue for outside game fishing. Mirror finish reflect heat keeping your eyes cooler. Brown gives better depth perception, but make everything look brown, Blue truer colours. I have worn both over the years, I cant see a big difference, probably tend towards Brown? But I do like the soothing effect of Ray Bans G15 Greeny lens! but isn't polarized,!! Mako http://www.makoeyewear.com.au/latest-news/mako-g2h5-lens, Haven't had a lot to do with it. But it is nice to look through.
    If your optom cant supply the brand of rx lenses you want, you can ask for your rx and get it filled elsewhere !
    Lens Materials are Cr39 ( plastic ) polycarbonate, and glass, Cr39 is the most widely used, it is lightweight making it very comfortable. Glass is 3 times heavier, breaks easily , But is far more scratch resistant. Polarizing Glass is laminated so far safer than ordinary glass. Quality is the same!
    Rod Bender. Your Rx comprises 2 parts, a distance correction if you need one, and an "ADD" the add is what you add to your distance rx to enable you to see better up close. Hence the reading magnifiers you buy come in +1 +1.50 +2 etc.
    Blue Blocker lenses in sunglasses and for computer screens I only have a basic knowledge of. We all know UVA and UVB light is damaging to our eyes and all australian standard sunglasses must block 100% of each. Now there is talk of the high end Blue light, just under UV may be damaging as well !?
    Howard.

9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks for the reply Howard! First of all, is there a use for yellow polarised glasses for fishing in low light conditions?

Secondly, when you say brown, that is not the same as copper is it? I am part colorblind but not too drastic. Also, I fish freshwater if it matters.

Last question....the 'Rx' you mention comprising of two parts, does that mean I can get the same 'prescription' as my reading glasses (put into my polarised glasses) and it won't affect my distance vision? I tried a pair of cheap reading glasses on and anything more than a few metres away was blurry.
    Cheers
    Jim

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  10. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Your reading and normal glasses are different prescriptions, in my case they are, the reading is stronger. I have multi focal lenses and I hate the bloody things a bit of a knock, the dog jumps up on my lap playing and knocks them off this sometimes knocks the script out so off to the optometrist to have them adjusted.

creekboy likes this.
  11. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Kev, Multifocals need to be finley adjusted to get the best out of them. They are a lesson in patience to get used to them, they are a compromise. They let you read through the bottom, up a bit for arms length, top for distance. The best advice I can give you is to point your nose at what you want to read. Move you head, not your eyes.
    Jim. Polarized lense are laminated, usually with the colour on the front layer only. There not made in Yellow. I have
    wished for a clear polarizing lens, But it wont happen. the polarizing process cuts out 50% of the available light. Brown covers a multitude of shades including copper.
    You reading prescription ( Rx ) is a combination of any correction you may need for your distance, Which is what you would use for your sunnies, PLUS an additional power to help you read better up close, usually at 30 to 40 c/m. Distance and reading are different strengths.Reading being stronger.
    There are Photochromic, Polarized lenses which are clear inside and at night, then go darker in sunlight. BUT the polarizing effect only works when they are in their darkest state. I found them not to work very well.
    Howard.

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    A few years back I was conned into getting Photochromic lenses in my new glasses, the gave me the big sales pitch how good they were.
    The main thing they forgot to tell me, but they did later was the lenses don't change when driving due to the UV through the windscreen or some bloody thing. The other problem I had was when I came inside after being in the sun they stayed dark for some time, people were looking for my dog and cone. After a heated conversation with the optometrist the lenses were replaced free of charge.

creekboy and Bluefin like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I had a look through some sunnies the other day at a tackle store. I will end up getting them from my optometrist but thought I would check them out. Copper coloured lenses...I was impressed!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    I can see clearly now the glasses are on!

creekboy, kev209 and Bluefin like this.