1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Which tackle to use NT river, estuary and offshore fishing trip.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by blair, Jan 16, 2019.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi I have finally booked myself in for a chartered fishing trip , near Darwin.
    Have yet to find out what gear is supplied and will be taking baitcasters whith 20lb and 40lb braid on zodias 7'5', 7'3'spin rod whith 20lb braid and fly rod. + lures and plastics.
    I presume that will cover barra fishing + other .
    Any tips from u experienced northen fisho,s will be appreciated.

Thanks Blair

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Now we're talking my type of fishing.

Any baitcaster rod from 6' and above in the 6-10kg range with a quality reel loaded with 30lb braid is about the only gear you need on barra. Spin gear is good if you are doing a bit of bottom fishing but for accurate casting, go the baitcaster.

My goto lures for casting are Reidys B52 125mm in Kryptonite colour and Bomber B15a in gold. For trolling, I don't reckon you can get much better than a Classic +10 120mm in Mullet Gold Dazzler. Those 3 lures have accounted for more metre plus barra in the Top End competitions then all other lures put together. Soft plastics work, especially big vibes, but not as good as the hard bodies.

Just out of curiosity, who are you booked with and when are you going, build up or runoff?

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi Jeff, thx for that info I will see what lures they have , only $10 per lure lost apparently. if they don't have the lures u recommend I will bring some whith me I have heard of those lures.
    Dundee beach whith anglers choice charters in April I am guessing not prime barra time but should be cooler for us softy heat sensitive southerners.
    I already have some 40lb braid so I am thinking will run that whith about 2.5 meters 40lb berkley vanish leader.
    Not sure how leader shy barra are I guess it depends on water clarity and fishing pressure.

cheers Blair

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Dundee is a great all round location, Blair, top reef fishing off shore, heaps of pelagics and some great barra fishing in Bynoe Harbour. April is still a good month for fishing up there - the runoff will be finished by then unless there is more monsoon rains late in the season, but regardless, Dundee fishes good all year round.

As for leader, I use 50lb fluorocarbon except for when I'm chucking big topwater lures and then I use the same weight in mono. 40lb braid with 40lb vanish will work.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Dundee sounds good, just what I wanted has river,estuary,harbour and offshore, I looked on google maps and located Bynoe harbour looks good tucked away, I will ask the skipper if we can have a go there. 7.4 meter boat licenced to go 30nm offshore.
    Even if I dont get a barra I think I will hook plenty of other fish species I haven't caught before.
    BCFing I go yet again,barra lures , curado k, tackleback lure retriever and handline and whatever else I think I need should get an account there!
    thx blair

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    When are you heading off Blair? Are you driving up or flying?

Some serious weather happening up in the north at the moment - could lead to some excellent runoff fishing over the next month.

Jeff

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi mate, first week of april I was wondering about the wheather up there, have 2 of each of lures u recomended hopefully we will get good wheather. Flying up.

8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    So, the countdown is on - are you excited?

The cyclonic weather wont have too much effect in the Darwin area by the look of things, a bit of rain which is much needed due to a relatively lower than average wet season, but that's about all.

Enjoy it.

Jeff

9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Yes excited to finally get up north for a fish , being a guided trip should be hooking lots of good arm stretchers, might get lucky whith some good runoff fishing. going to go and pack some fishing gear now.
    cheers

kev209, diesel and creekboy like this.
  10. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Blair; we took the van into Dundee a couple of years ago, intending to stay a week. It was over five weeks later that we drove out. The lodge used to help us out with food supplies.
    Have never fished offshore there but had some good fun off the beach in the park, right beside the boat ramp. Off shore are marlin, sails, lots of big queens and barra. As Jeff says, they are controlled by climatic conditions a bit and conditions look good at present. Used to get some good blue salmon on fly and the best fish was a metre queeny. Good stuff from land base. Used to get quite a few nice golden trevally too. They were all released. Pretty fish. Reef sharks a bit over a metre and catfish used to drive us mad at times. I'd get eight or ten most mornings before breakfast but being shore based, only during neap tides. With the higher spring tides the water turns quite red as it churns up along the beach. Noel

11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    PS. The boat ramp was then only a sheltered launching place on the sand. They used a tractor.
    I understand there's been lots of development there.

12. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thx for that info noel, looks like my mate chose the right place for a fish. Read your book a good read and have underlined all the good spots to fish and visit. Might go caravanning one day my parents enjoyed it.
    Which flies did u find worked well there? I have packed my 7 weight loop saltwater rod.

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks for that Blair. Glad you found something in the book worth reading. Publishing one is quite a project.
    You're the first person I know that has a 'Loop' rod. I won a cheaper model Loomis a few years ago and thought it the absolute worst I'd handled. A tackle shop guy was happy to exchange it and I finished up with #7 Loop. I like it, though my favourite rods are Fenwicks and up there I used a #8 stick. The flies don't have a name. I tie them. Usually on a #2 S/S hook using green lead eyes. I tie a mix of lime green and yellow calf tail, mixed with a bit of silver flash material and end up with a stringy looking streamer about 75mm long. I was once told to always tie flies for barra a bit on the sparse side. Don't know how true it is but have caught small barra (to75) on mine. Have also caught several north west snappers and blue salmon on them. Perhaps like me, you might find barra can't hold a candle to a fit and healthy rainbow on fly. That surprised me. Their main asset is weight, not speed like a good rainbow. But have caught more on Reidy's poppers at about 125mm long than fly.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I will get some reidys poppers, what colour were they partial to?
    The loop LBLSW 788-3 rod is ok I got it because it was on a 50% off sale, liked it more than previous killwell rod but is no where near the Sage one for accuracy , lightweight, and most types of casting and general performance.
    The loop loads up quickly and is quicker for casting to passing pelagics etc the tip section has a sudden step down in diameter in it and broke on first carp I hooked , got a new tip section under warranty whith no step down. I am guessing if I throw some bread out for berley some good mullet and maybe milkfish will turn up, just have to find my bread flys.
    tight lines