1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Win, Win, Win.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, May 14, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Off Trout fishing tomorrow and with only 16 mm of rain the ground still dry and no sign of worms. so decided today to pop in to town to get some worms. I asked them in the fishing store how was the trout fishing going at Doon and the answer was not good as the water really low , Rivers and inlets going quite well because they start to spawn up them now until as late as October. They did recommend Chicken thighs as bait as well for trout as they were firmer. I said dont tell me you sell them , no. So I got some worms there anyway.
    After I had a look at chicken thighs and at six dollars a kilo , humming and haring I saw Chicken Carcasses $2.00 quite a bit of meat on them that will do.
    Got home and took the meat I wanted a win, broke the rest up and boiled for stock made a litre a win, separated all the meat off the bones two nights tea for our little Ozzi Terrier it thought it was Xmas a win.
    Tomorrow hoping to catch a trout or two for another win

wally

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    All the best for tomorrow Wal.

Looking forward to reading a great report with some picts.

3. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Trout Day, will be glad when it is light at 5.30 again. Not game to go out in the dark in case I trip up. That usually means a commando crawl to something that is upright to pull myself up. Can’t swim so wouldn’t want to fall in the lake I would be stuffed.
    But I am not going to sit around and wait to diei either.
    Wally

4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    We don't have much to do with fish seasons here apart from estuary perch, with which I don't get bothered. We catch an occasional one on SP but far from a preferred method. Not reliable at all.
    Went back up the river again yesterday and Boss went too ('STILL IN SHOCK') but her intentions were all honourable. The lake is still not performing well with the flatties but hopefully will improve as the gap following the terrorist season widens. The river is shallow over sand in many places and I need the 40hp tilted a fair way up to get over sand bars. The electric struggles with the depth too at times.
    Boss had offered to help pump some blood worms in case I died doing it. She could also be stuck up there with no-one to drive the boat home. With a nice lunch and a cold glass of sav blanc to wash it down (and a good book) she had a good day in still air and a cloudless sky. She has pumped worms before and is a bit slower now, but reaching 80yo in a couple of months it was a good effort. In my attempts to contribute, after making lunch, was to do the right thing by her efforts. We brought home seven whiting, none big but up to 35, and a 30 bream that was badly hooked. I was only using #10 long shanks but it was bleeding badly. Another similar bream was returned along with a few under sized whiting. A nice surprise was a luderick (yes, I was once a Mexican) that was probably about 3/4 of a kg. A really solid fat fish, pulled like a train on 3lb gear and will be pretty good table wise too.
    I also had a top day but was asleep at the table by 8.00pm. A small enough price to pay I reckon.

5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi all. Best of luck today , Wally. AND Great effort Noel with the assistance from Jean. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  6. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Well started off the Day well drove down to the Lake and about a hundred metres I stopped just to check the ground after the bit of rain we had, it looked OK but 20 metres from the edge still looking OK when I dropped to my ankle and fell face down. So I decided to go to a boat ramp up further as I did not need to get bogged. Fished 5 hours not a bite.
    Spoke to two blokes who came in to pull their Boats ashore while I was there.The first bloke was using Yabbies and Scrubbys had bites but no Fish Boy did I feel better. I was about to go when the other guy turned up to see him load his boat on the trailer was like magic I couldn't stop watching he looked oldish but younger in his movements. He came from out of town I found out also he is 81. He had caught 4 beautiful Trout they must have been between 1 to 3 lbs and he put back 4 more. I love his bait lt was Crickets hooked through the leg with a no 6 Gama hook, on a waxed trace floating from a small bubble float.
    Wally

7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    A not so uncommon method to catch fish and it works as you saw.
    In another version a guy I knew used to do something quite similar. He always said and we believed him, that he fished with flies. So did we. It was a couple of years later that we found he fished in the style mentioned by Wally but during that time of year, he caught and used march flies. He wouldn't have known one end of a fly line from the other. Others at Eucumbene do it using both crickets and grasshoppers.

8. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    I too have caught trout on march flies on a size 16 hook on 4lb mono with 1 tiny split shot drifted down the runs in the Delatite River. ( 50 years ago ) Cheers, Lyall.

9. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    PS to above. The only time the bait came to me. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Win Win Win!!!
    'tis Friday am. My mad mate Zig from Canberra rang last night. He's bringing his boat down and we're off fishing 'again'. Forecast is perfect; for the next week in fact. Will advise results later. Three trips out in a week is a recent times record and they're full day trips. Noel

creekboy, Madfisher, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  11. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    HA

You will soon be grateful for a day off of fishing at this rate. Make it a great day Noel and get a good bag.
    Wally

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Get out there and enjoy yourself Noel

creekboy and Madfisher like this.
  13. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Well, we arrived at the highway bridge around 0930 and headed off in Ziggy's tank (read as boat) to pump some bloodworms. 'Wally' is not really a boat. It's simply a fishing platform he designed and had built. It is uncomfortable, has no keel as such so it slips and slides on corners and you get wet if there's a bit of wind slop on the water. There is no shelter from anything. In its defence it's incredibly stable. Around 20' long and about seven wide, you could hold a dance inside it. It is very shallow draught, even with the 85 Yamaha on the back.
    Wanted to include an image but of course couldn't do it.
    Worms were hard to find and took us an hour. Started fishing in the same areas as the last two visits which were quite successful. Nothing much happened until I boated a reasonable bream. Deep hooked, I cut it off and back in the water it went. Coffee time passed and the fish passed too. After the second or third shift I managed the first whiting, then the drought returned. Before we knew it lunch time arrived and a you-beaut ham and salad roll was washed down with one glass of red each. Best part of the day so far.
    When 1400hrs arrived we still had but one whiting and Zig no idea at all as to what happened to the good fishing I had spoken of. I believed I knew. I have had good fun with Zig and he's a red-necked ratbag I once disliked immensely. But I discovered there's a different bloke inside as well and we've been mates for thirty years. He loves his fishing but frankly, he rarely, seriously thinks about it. He is his own worst enemy and we've not had a great day's fishing in three or four years due his ignoring one thing.
    In my mind and I stand corrected by others; in fact welcome comments; I believe one of the most valuable things in a fisher's equipment collection is something you can't buy. I call it stealth. Never tell the buggers you are there.
    Zig roars up to where he'll fish and cuts the engine at the last moment. He never touches the anchor chain on the boat, 10/10, but then drops the anchor the last foot to the water, 0/10. While usually barefoot, he still thumps around the boat. I could say he is not unlike a bull in a china shop. In my boat I usually cut the main engine 100m away and close the gap using the electric motor. I could complain but he'd probably forget by next trip and I have more respect for the times we share than a few fish that I can perhaps catch next time out.
    Zig got one whiting for the day and I had about six but being only small, we returned several and only brought home two.
    The day was perfect. Calm without a cloud in the sky and few others on the water. A far cry from a few weeks ago. I have reasonable confidence that if I went back today I would have a much better result and am surprised that I value mates above my fishing in this way.
    Next week with fantastic days forecast, I hope to take Bill out on the lake to chase some flathead but they are still hard to find. Will advise as it goes.
    Old fisho Noel.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    creekboy, kev209 and Master Baiter like this.
  15. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    It sounds like it was a day it should be mates enjoying each other’s company, regardless of the outcome. A good post Noel
    By the way where are you located?

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It was exactly that. There should always be some room for such days in our lives as they are the ones we remember longest. It won't be long before what we didn't catch will become insignificant but the memories of the day; the company, the weather, the lunch, the laughs and the beautiful environment will linger.
    I've been living at Tuross Head about 45km south of Batemans Bay for close to nine years after wandering Australia for several years with the van. We live in sight of Montagu Island, home to some of the best of the east coast game fishing. Nearby Bermagui is the closest point to the mainland of the continental shelf.
    Our main fishing is the large Tuross lake which is a highly recognised trophy flathead water, and generally only around two metres deep. It's a fairly large waterway and uncertain of it; I think the shoreline is around 200kms. The entrance is rarely closed and inflow is via the Tuross River which is short in length and comes down from the Great Divide. The river is navigable for several kms above the point where the river meets the lake but there are numerous sandbars. There's a couple of kms of channels from that junction to the entrance. Not much of the lake shore is accessible due to mud and/or mangroves. There are almost no roads in. I have taken so many species of fish here that it would take a long time to list them. My best flathead to date was 107cm, with a few at 90+ and more at 80+. Before I got crook I used to get between 500 and 1000 flathead a year but would rarely keep more than one for the table. Our beaches right in town provide great fishing with whiting, bream, tailer, salmon and gummies as well as other species at times.
    Hope that fills you in a bit.
    Want to see more? Check it out on Google Earth.
    Thanks for the interest. Noel.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    creekboy, kev209 and Master Baiter like this.