1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Woollongong to Newcastle Marine Park

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by reelaxation, Aug 20, 2018.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Well Im sure we have all heard about it and now its going to happen- a full marine park from Woollongong to Newcastle includng 25 new sites along with the already in place Marine Parks.

A lot of talk on social media as this affects thousands of rec fisho's....

Ive attached a map of the new Hawkesbury Shelf Bio-region just so you can see what is happening.

Best if you have any questions to check out Facebook or the DPI website

Cheers
    Anthony

Attached Files:

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Very informative, Anthony. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 and reelaxation like this.
  3. Charles1960

Charles1960 New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    I't gonna be a lot worse worse once the Labor Govt eventually gets back, in the short term not a bad thing for the Libs to do it now. Port Hacking is relatively unaffected, gotta love how the safe rock fishing locations at Cape Banks are sanctuaries but your free to kill yourself on the deathtrap ledges north of there.

Madfisher, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Two things I would like to mention here.

Firstly, no politics on this forum please.

Secondly, safe fishing locations are more heavily fished than the hard to access spots, so it stands to reason that sanctuaries would be established where over fishing has occurred. Considering the high population of the area and the ever increasing pressure on the fishery, it was inevitable that action had to be taken. It is also happening up here in Qld and rightly so. Those areas that were declared marine parks a couple of years ago due to fishing pressure are bouncing back and it is good to see. What is not so good to see are areas that were once a very productive fishery totally devoid of quality fish across many species and it has only come about due to pressure from both commercial and recreational fishing. There is only one answer to the problem and that is to deny access to one and all.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. Charles1960

Charles1960 New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    I saw the original draft and the argument for closing area was they were little fished so supposedly little backlash to closing them. I've fished Southern Sydney for forty years and the only thing saved by the closures will be yabbies ,bream ,blackfish and tailor, hardly endangered species. The places that should be closed from a conservation point of view would around La Perouse, Little Bay or Long Bay but that would be way too hard .
    Charle

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Yeah, fair point Charlie, you know the area far better than me.

The same argument was put forward up here in Qld when marine parks were established in some areas. The local fishos, both rec and commercial said that the only species saved were those that were not endangered, but they didn't figure on those species that were not in abundance and all part of the whole ecological diversity. These were the species that needed saving and the only way to do so was to close down the fishery until recovery of all species was evident.

I have fished Cape York for many years and a lot of species that I have caught up there were once abundant right down the Qld coast, but due to excessive fishing pressure they are now only found in remote locations and established marine parks.

Jeff

7. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Well Ive fished all the areas mentioned in this proposal and some regularly and others only very occasionally when Im travelling- the thing I note is that the spot I have fished for 20years (and has little recreational fishing pressure) is one of the biggest proposed areas to be completely locked out which will be extension of an existing marine park, and it will go all the way from Box Head at the mouth of the Hawkesbury River to Capabana and extend out to international waters some 15NM offshore, this isnt just a case of making it wide but it covers several hundred NM of coastline ... Most of the year where I fish there are less than a handful of fisho's on the beach, and more often than not its just me fishing- and this area is a very busy camping and recreation area. Ive caught everything from crabs, yakkas, occy, squid, bream, tarwhine, whiting, flatties,snapper, jewfish, taylor, salmon, bonito, striped tuna and varios types of sharks in season over many years. Sure some years there is less fish than other years but I reckon thats because of weather patterns and the unpredictable currents from both north and south. I dont think for a second recreational fishing has any major impact on the area I fish.

The areas in Sydney harbour and North harbour are planned to be catch'n'release areas which would be justified, but its the bogus "science" that went into the findings that I find hard to swallow... As an example the Minister for Fisheries said yesterday to Ray hadley on 2GB that they were trying to protect the sea grass- but really??? Cmon seriously how does recreational fishing destroy sea beds of grass, we all know that just not possible unless you are in a boat or a ferry which churns up the bottom. SO why not start by making exclusion zone for boaties and fisho's in power boats so as to not chrun up the grass, and stop the ferries or make their pontoons out in deeper water? No because its easier and cheaper to blame fishos for a problem that been allowed to progressively get worse over time and the more people who turn to power boats as a means of transport make it worse. Not to mention the amount of debris, rubbish that flows in and out of sydney harbour after a decent rain- why not rally local community groups to go a clean up of wetlands and around the foreshore during period where there is little rain- every little bit of help counts right?
    IMHO Sydney harbour is the healthiest its even been- and this has been noted by not only the CSIRO, but regular fisho's like Al McGlashan, Starlo, Rex Hunt and Worstelling. Even though I dont fish Sydney Harbour I dont think there are many inshore or city based fisheries that you can catch 40cm+ bream, 1m+ flatties, 50lb+ jewies, 1m+ Kingfish, Striped Tuna, Bonito year round alongside Marlin, Sharks, Dollies and Even various tuna species in season.

So to cut a long story short these proposed lockouts will not only see my area locked out, but around 150-200 charter owners, tackle shops, professional fisherman, spearo's and families will be forced to find other areas which could very well be more dangerous to drop a line- it just doesnt make any sense.

I believe lowering bag limits and setting max size limits would be more beneficial to the whole community- you have to remember here that around 90,000 recreational fishers ALONE will be impacted- so what will happen should these lockouts go ahead? Well areas that dont have as much pressure will be put under high pressure as fishers have to travel up or down the coast to catch a fish. Then the area will become in a "treatened" state resulting in more lockouts. I am hedging my bets this is what the Greens are counting on, alongside the fact the fishos notoriously fight amongst each other regarding catch'n'release, tactics and even how to protest which doesnt solve anything it just gets the rest of the community against us.

Funny as an IT techo I run on the premise that "if it aint broke dont fix it" and I think this statement is true for a lot of the coastline. Sure there are some areas where a marine park is necessary to promote diversity and ecological balance- but in my experience fishing the south coast, sydney and hawkesbury regions there is only a very select and minimal area required to be completely locked out for that reason.

Education and correct policing of our existing marine assets is required, neither of which Fisheries NSW promote in any positive way in the wider community- yet we still have to pay fishing licenses and Ive never once seen a fisheries officer in ANY area I have fished in the last 40years- so in reality how will they regulate these monstrous areas proposed when they cannot police and regulate the existing areas of the coast line.

Anyway eneough of my ranting- for anyone who wants to know there are general meetings planned for each location and as I hear about them I will post updates here... And we have full support of Shimano, Daiwa, Shooter and Fishers party, various pro fishing staff like Starlo, ET, Bergie, Al McGlashan, aswell as multiple charter operators, and several notable media staff from 2UE and 2GB radio. If we get anough support we might have a chance like when they tried to ban Greyhound racing which was defeated.

#STOPTHELOCKOUT

Thanks for reading everyone

Cheers n tight lines

Anthony

8. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Here is the link to the proper survey which closes on 24th September- submissions and announcemets are to follow on 27th September...

Even if you arent affected by these please help us who are, and one day should the situation be reversed we will gladly help you out.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HawkesburyDP

Cheers

9. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You have some valid points, Anthony, but as a diesel mechanic I run on the premise that preventative maintenance is far better than waiting for something to stuff up. That applies to a lot of things, including coastal waters. We are currently witnessing severe drought in NSW and Qld that is having a devastating effect on not just farmers, but whole regional communities, but there are places where preventative maintenance was carried out in the lead up to the dry spell and it has lessened the impact of the drought. In both farming and fishing, there comes a time when things need a bit of a spell.

The area in question would have to be the most heavily populated part of Australia and as such, it is also the most heavily polluted part of the country. There is rubbish floating in our waterways along the entire coast and a lot comes from fishos. Expecting local communities to keep on cleaning up after others is not the answer, there needs to be a complete culture change in relation to waste. I mentioned in another post a while back that there is hardly a beach, creek or river on the east coast where you wont find a Tweed Bait plastic bag and if the only way to prevent such pollution is locking up areas, then so be it.

I read quite often where people blame the Greens whenever changes such as this are implemented and as much as I disagree with a lot of the Greens extreme views, I also believe that all responsibly minded people whether a fisho or not have a tinge of green - some are just darker than others.

Maybe it doesn't mean much to people in the southern states, but the Great Barrier Reef is dying and some marine experts believe that it has gone past the point of no return. Why? Simply because we, as the so called intelligent species on the planet couldn't see the writing on the wall that we were systematically destroying probably the greatest natural wonder in the world. The selfish attitude of 'live for today and stuff tomorrow' needs to change otherwise we will lose what we've got. We are still a lucky country compared to most of the rest of the world, so let's keep it that way by practising preventative maintenance, regardless of short term sacrifice. We will all benefit in the long term.

Jeff

11. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Here Here, Jeff. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.