1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Worm production!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Yep...I am trying to establish a worm farm to provide me with bait. I dug up a small area that I have been throwing vegie scraps, amongst other things, for a few months. It could do with a bit more organic material but I am going to make do with what I have here. It won't get too much sun which is good.
    20200417_125310.jpg
    It looks drier than it was as I threw some dirt on to level out some low spots. It is now covered in hessian and I have started to wet it up.

Should I throw some lawn clippings under the hessian? I hear conflicting thoughts in regards to the clippings generating a bit of heat. Am thinking of adding a few centimetres only and then just adding scraps.

When I return to work I am hoping to be able to dig some worms to throw in the bed. I assume it is a good idea to put some in there as they won't just appear?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Needs a logistics officer to keep up with efforts in the war against CC!

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Mate dont put lawn clippings, unless its all ready very dried out. But leaves that fall off the trees in autumn are great. I use the lawn mower and catcher to pick them up. The mower sort of mulches them up which is great. Also bury any smallish redfin or carp in there as well, worms love them. Also you can buy mulch from bunnings which is very good, stops the soil drying out, and when its rots down provides them with food. We also have a worm farm, one you can buy but the worms atre a bit skinny for fishing, but are great to feed to my catfish and bass.
    Good luck Pete

blair, kev209, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Worms will appear just keep moist your going well. I only feed mine Pig Poo and vegetable's.
    I keep them moist to the extent in summer if I can squeeze quite hard water will run out. I have Red worms and when I get too many I toss several thousand into the vegetable plot. Tough seeing the tail end of the lake from the Garden and not able to Fish it through being isolated here in Heaven.
    upload_2020-4-18_7-24-43.png

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  4. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Mate the stuff I was trying to think of is sugar cane mulch, available at bunnings. Once it starts to rot down it will encourage worms.
    Cheers Pete

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good stuff that cane mulch Pete. I get it by the trailer load straight from a cane grower near Mackay whenever I need it, costs me a couple of barra fillets or a mud crab - I love the barter system.

Jeff

blair, Rod Bender and Madfisher like this.
  6. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Its a shame we do not have a heart symbol mate. When my tomatoes are starting to grow i cover the ground with it, also any bare spots in the lawn. It is great stuff. Even better the Missus buys it lol.
    Pete

blair, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I am not that confident in the worms appearing Wally. Where I dug the bed, I have never got worms there before when it has been wet. I will see what happens anyway. I won't be putting anything in there until the ground is suitable and I will wait. I will be happy if I get worms by the end of winter.

After I put what I thought was a reasonable amount of water yesterday, I had a bit of a dig. I was surprised how little it soaked in!

I had a look online. I think I can afford it! :cool:
    What form is it in? Small shavings or longer strands? Should I dig a bit of it into the soil to start with? Also if I have a layer on top, still put the hessian over it? I guess I may as well.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  8. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Jim, go to your local newsagent and ask him if he has any old newspapers. our newsagent no longer sends them back to the printers they just cut the dates off and the paper name and just sends that back. locals know to go to the back of the shop and take a bundle or two or what they need. When it rains spread a paper out quite thick in a couple of days you could have worms, if not a bit longer. Carpet shops that lay Carpets always have left overs they throw away don't use the rubber underlay. I use carpet over the top of plastic sheeting to keep them warm in winter . Maybe you could mulch with cane mulch and paper as they will break up ...

9. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    it sort of a bit like straw mate, i guess it would not hurt to dig a bit in, try and get the older stuff to do this i guess.
    Pete

10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I will just leave it on the top Pete. All going well I will get it on Monday.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

11. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    One other tip to mate i remembered was tpo lay some old wheat bags down on the ground, when you want worms for fishing just pick up the bag and pick them up.
    Pete.

diesel, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  12. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Bunnings was selling worm farms in boxes I presume that would be a good way to get it going just empty the box of worms in your worm farm. I was on the roof the other day cleaning out a gutter and it had some good worms in the mud how the heck do worms get up into a roof gutter?

kev209, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I have one of these Blair. I put water through it and put the runoff on my vegies. They are compost worms...a bit small for decent bait.

As for worms in gutters, may be dropped by birds and then the worms breed.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Fussy about his bait!

blair and kev209 like this.
  14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    There are a few good mixes on the net that will fatten them up, and they work, I used a few different mixes when I had a worm box. (lime, corn flower, powder milk, bran,)
    I can't remember the quantity of each I used.

blair, Madfisher and Rod Bender like this.
  15. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Birds i think mate
    Pete

blair and kev209 like this.
  16. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Are compost worms any good for bait? I have heard many people say they are not and ooze out a yellow substance fish supposedly don't like. I have never tried them for this reason.

Rod Bender, blair and kev209 like this.
  17. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I used to catch trout, perch and carp whith compost worms. Lawn clipping compost.

Master Baiter, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  18. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I was told that as well, but never had any problems using them, caught ,Trout, Reddies, Roach, Eels, carp, and the Murray Cod I caught at the Goulburn Weir.

Master Baiter, blair and Rod Bender like this.
  19. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    I have ubeaut fat worms inmy vegie garden, and compost worms in my worm farm. I also have two bass and two catfish in a aquarium so can see what they like. The catties eat both with relish, but the bass can tell the difference when you drop them in the tank, they much prefer the garden worms. when its dry and i have to give them compost worms its like giving a kid nasty tasting medicine, they will half heartedly eat them but not enjoy them lol.
    Pete

20. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Well I shall tell Pat I will take the compost out for her in future. We have two compost bins and which ever bin has the worms pat throws in the compost onion peel lemon anything acidic hence worms disappear. That reminds me I read if you put lawn clippings in put some lime on top, I don't remember why as I don't use them.
    Wally