1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

You can not catch Golden perch on fly.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Madfisher, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Guys I dont think i have ever related how i got into fly fishing for natives, back in the late 80s early 90s, long before it become fashionable.
    They built Windermere dam in the early 80s and started storing water I think in about 83. By the late 80s the Golden perch where going off big time, and catches of a doz Goldens ea where common place all on lures. I quickly worked out dark lures worked better then bright ones.
    After about a doz trips , I was starting to get a bit bored with it and started looking for new challenges. From the very few we keep I noticed they where feeding almost entirely on small fish.
    Why wouldnt they take a fly?. As long as it imitated a small forage fish. My mates and any one i mentioned it to laughed them selves silly , Goldens on fly you have to be joking , they dont take flies, there not bloody trout.
    But I remember reading a book from the 60s where some trout fisherman had accidentally caught Goldens on Mrs Simpsons up in the New England. So I started looking at flies. the old red and black matuka would most likely work , but i wanted something better. About this time Alan Barber from Tiewell showed me a Zonker, this is it. Tie it from dark rabbit fur like brown, black or purple and I think its a winner.
    First trip over I went by myself so i could experiment. I was using a sinking shooting head on and 8wt rod, 12lb tippett, Goldens hit hard.
    I was fishing along the steep bank near the wall , casting it out and letting it get well down then recovering the line in foot long strips, then a longish pause just how the gUdgeons etc swim. Halfway in on the pause I went to strip and couldn't i was snagged. Then the snag came to life, I have never seen that old 8wt bend so much. I got it close to the bank, it appeared to be 10 to 15lb huge and the hook popped out, I had not driven the 3x heavy no 2 hook in over the barb, but it did not matter I was elated. I was vindicated in my beliefs. 30 minutes later i hooked and landed a smaller one.
    Now a week later we organised another fishing trip, but i announced I WAS TAKING FLY GEAR ONLY. After the boys stopped rolling around laughing we set off, I had said nothing about last weeks adventure.
    One of the lure boys got one fairly quickly and they where feeling sorry for me and offering advice , and offering me a bait caster. When all of a sudden I got one, the looks on there faces was priceless. Now it was a bright sunny day and the fish where hanging deeper then normal out of range of the lures, but not to my fast sinking fly line and heavy fly. By lunch time I had 5, they had at most one ea, and had given up fishing and watching me. I was laughing on the inside, as its not the done thing to gloat to much .
    Another funny story a few months later i am fly fishing off the bank when a boat comes trolling past, and as most of us know you can hear voices over the out board. The banter was ( look at that idiot, thinks he is at Oberon) Then one sings out , how many trout have you got, I reply None, but heaps of big fat golden shaped barrels. Right on Cue i got another one, they nearly fell out of the boat trying to see what I had.
    Cheers Guys

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    The last laugh is always the best one Pete.
    Son peter and I did similar off the rocks near Marlo when we tried to catch gars on fly. The locals thought we were a real pair of dorks until we started catching a fish on every cast and didn't have to rebait.
    Noel

blair, diesel, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Sweet revenge eh, and very satisfying when it all comes together.
    Cheers Pete

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Great read!
    I have always been fascinated by fly fishing and with the more resent up take of fly fishing for natives have considered having a crack.
    The issues for me is a not knowing where to start and the coin to get into the game.
    In the past 8 years I have moved from a bait fisho for natives to almost an exclusive lure fisho for our beautiful natives. This has meant so investment into the 4 bait casting setups and the ever growing tackle trays of lures.

Fly fishing for Goldens makes sense to me as fishing is about matching the hatch which is what fly fishing is all about from what I can see.

Cheers Jed

diesel, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Hello Jed
    To start fly fishing (for anything) you first have to destroy the image that many still hold. To whit; fly fishing is not just for the landed gentry as we were once led to believe, nor do you need to have a handlebar moustache, were a deerstalker hat or smoke a bent pipe. It's a wonderful way to fish for any species. I found that once I could catch trout on fly there were no exceptions left. Even marlin and sailfish are taken but by using different tactics. I have never chased natives as there were none. I have the same issue now with carp.
    Trout on fly perhaps form the best training ground of them all. I'm sure Madfisher Pete will agree that our observational powers increase during that time as the must do with fish feeding on insects much of the time. That doesn't mean you must have a degree in entomology. It just means you learn to see things differently than before.
    This area is less important with fish that spend their time below the surface but the observations will never be forgotten.
    Advice perhaps if it's not being invasive.
    Firstly, talk to some fly fishers. Find out what turned them in that direction Do you want to go the same way? Beautiful and expensive gear is one of my loves but I encourage others to start as I did, with fairly low cost gear while remembering that many start out and soon sell the gear because fly fishing wasn't for them. Learn the basic mechanics of a fly rod and line. It will make understanding their use much simpler. But above all, it's not difficult. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I can do it successfully. If I can, anyone can.
    Finally, it's not something you can learn from a book. You have to get out there and do it. It has provided many of my most treasured memories of fish, of places and certainly not the least, of people I have met because of it.
    Noel
    Not much left but memories

diesel, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Pip Clement at Trelly's!!!!!! He is a firm believer in doing things on the cheap as well!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Tell Pip I sent you in...he will charge you double!

diesel, blair, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  7. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Great reply Noel. Jed theses days you can buy reasonable fly gear cheaper then a decent bait caster. Less then $200 for rod , reel and line and it is infinalty better then the old glass rod i started with back in the 70s I would start with a golden perch outfit first and go with a 7/8 weight, this will also allow you to fish for bass and carp and smaller cod up to 70cm. BCF have some reasonable outfits, as would most chains. The only snag being most come with floating lines, i think you will need and intermediate sink as the best all rounder.
    How to Cast? well these days there are stacks of how to cast videos on you tube. Just remember the heavier the fly the harder it is for the flyline to carry it out.

You are welcome to pm me any time as well.
    Are there any flyfishing clubs near you. most will welcome you with open arms , and give you some free lessons and maybe a trip or two after they get to know you.
    I will diverge from my old mate Noel, trout are getting few and far between these days, but carp are everywhere , and will teach you lots about the use camouflage clothes, carefull stalking , and accurate casting. Although you will need a floating line for them.
    Golden Perch are just as smart as Brown trout and are very quick learners. I find the easiest ones to catch on fly is where they prey on small fish. Crayfish and shrimp eaters are a little harder, but maybe I HAVE NOT FOUND THE RIGHT FLY.
    My go to flies for Goldens are large Woolly Buggars tied on 2 or 3x long size 4 hooks, or smaller if fishing Lake St Clair( small prey) and large zonkers , but rather then the silver belly I substuite a dark chenille or some dubbing material. The tail fur from our rag doll fly is extremely soft and makes brilliant flies.
    What area are you in?
    Tight lines mate, any questions fire away.

diesel, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  8. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    I believe Pip, Ken Smith and Rod Harrison are having a nativie on fly session on Wyangala shortly.
    Tight lines.

diesel, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Pete, I agree with you as usual. Another option I use periodically is a weight forward floating line with a sink tip. It's not used by many but gets a fly down quite well.
    I started with what was reputedly a cheap rod and found out later it was made by Hardy from England. Compared to today's gear it was heavy, sloppy and a dog to cast with. You know I like my Fenwicks these days but still use Hardy reels.
    Noel

diesel, kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  10. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Please dont tell the missus i am reading these replies....

I have had Pip sell me lots of gear and yes I find him very good at keeping with in the budget. He ties a mean fly for cod too... Well they look the goods to me.

Maybe next year some time will be the time to extend my fishing gear to fly fishing.

This thread has been a great read,

Cheers Jed

diesel, kev209, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.
  11. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Noel sink tips are perfect for shore based golden perch fishing, but some are dogs to cast and tend to hinge, if you can get the right one they are great. I have one here I would happily give away lol. I have a hardy on the wall of my office, Sally and Michael still use Fenwicks( they seem to be able to not suffer breakages like I do lol.) She still complains about accidentally breaking her Iron feather. I do have a couple of lovely sage rods here, although I rarely use them, just to easy to break them in the final stages of trying to land a carp with out a landing net.
    Pete

diesel and kev209 like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I agree in part at least Pete. The #7 weight I use travels in the air OK but I concede that I don't get the same distance with it. I assume it's to do with the weight of the sinking end.
    Noel.

diesel, kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi jed, WARNING! IF YOU START FLY FISHING YOU WILL BE ADDICTED! I suggest to watch videos on how to double haul if u get into fly fishing this gives long casts so you can cover more water also as Noel suggests a clear tip sink tip fly line , very stealthy and versitile + floating line I use a lighweight plastic reel whith spare spools.
    The casting is in itself a great pastime requires patience to learn.

14. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Thanks for the warning. I am not prone to addictive behaviour *as I look and my horde of Lures that I never use*
    Cheers Jed

Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Join the club

kev209 likes this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Pete, apart from in the boat, I haven't used a landing net since my first visit to NZ. If landing those big wild rainbows is OK without a net, there's little need for one with our smaller fish. Something else I don't have to carry.
    Noel
    Always looking for the easier way

Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  17. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    I have to agree Noel,nets are a damm pain to carry, they get caught on every stick , branch and barb wire fence.
    My pommy mates are a bit appalled i do not use a net to land carp, they woul;d be more appalled if they knew what i did to them afterwards.
    Cheers Pete

kev209 likes this.