1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Your Favorite Fish Dish ....

Discussion in 'Preparation & Cooking' started by User1, Aug 16, 2005.

1. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    What's your preferred meal of fish? Prepared and cooked which way and served with what ?

creekboy likes this.
  2. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I think the best meal that I have had, was Red Emporer, fresh from a reef off broome and cooked the night it was caught. Grilled with some lemon and server with fresh prawns, calamari, fries and salad. Does it get any better? YUM! :D

Whats yours marc?

creekboy likes this.
  3. Komodo

Komodo New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Well to throw a spanner in the works i dont like eatting fish. I dont mind a bit of flake from the fish and chip shop dont get me wrong or the odd bit of chilli calamari or smoked trout but in general i dont like fish or any seafood much at all.

creekboy likes this.
  4. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    I certainly wouldn't say I'm a big seafood eater as there are many things I don't like... oysters etc.

But I would have to say the nicest fish I have eaten is Gernard cooked in foil with lemon and coriander and slapped on the BBQ! Delish!

Second to that would be Rainbow Trout cooked the same way, same day caught :)

creekboy likes this.
  5. awhite_au

awhite_au New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I'm really torn... really can't beat a nice pan sized redfin, cooked up with some eggs and lemon. Then again, one of the nicest fish I've eaten was a massive Mangrove Jack, cooked in foil with lemon, onion, tomato etc, and buried with hot coals for quite some time... it was magical.

Also hehehe, can't go past elephant fish (no bones), cooked up in VB beer batter, served with a plate of hot chips and lemon YUMMMMM!

creekboy likes this.
  6. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    gezz just too many i do like
    fresh shark battered served with some chips
    calamari srumed with chips
    some sweet chille crab
    some raw tuna sushimi or sushi style

and then some fish baked or steamed or or or or LOL just too many chooises

creekboy likes this.
  7. craig308

craig308 New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    best fish i have eaten is mangrovejack cooked on the barb with homemade chips

creekboy likes this.
  8. subwayboy

subwayboy Guest

GERNARD?? we throw them back. I know they have nice white flesh but who can be bothered cleaning them with all their spikes and such.

Best fish i have had is Red empror, Coral Trout, Blue Bone, Dhu Fish, Snapper any top quality table fish that we have just pulled over the side, straight onto the gas cooker lightly fried and whacked in between two slices of bread, cant beat that.

Or Fresh Yellow fin sliced up with soy and wasabi not even ten minutes out of the water, then you understand why the japs pay so much for fresh tuna.

I can honestly say that no fish i have eaten in a fancy restaraunt even comes close to some of the fish me and my old man have cooked fresh out of the water on a K Mart Gass cooker

creekboy likes this.
  9. Unlucky_Phil

Unlucky_Phil New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Venus Tusk Fish aka parrotfish.

whole with lemon in the gut cooked on the BBQ nothing will beat it. :razz:

creekboy likes this.
  10. Brissyguy

Brissyguy New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Once caught a heap of Hussar out at the Swains.
    After removing the fillets for bait, the cook cut away the belly flaps, butterflyed them and baked in the oven with just a little lemon pepper.
    :grin: OMG they were heaven...

creekboy likes this.
  11. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Depending on where I am at the time and what fresh fish is available.

In Tasmania - Fishing by a running steam, catching trout, cooking in pan with little butter over a log fire. Served with warm rolls heated in the fire, potatos in jackets thrown in fire, lemon and cracked pepper. The serenity, relaxation, chardonay is well worth waiting for.

On holidays - Whiting wrapped in foil with a little butter, parsley and lemon thrown on the BBQ.

Melbourne Cup Day - Baked snapper with a few herbs, prawns, tartar sauce, roasted french potatos, salad - with friends, beer, sparkling shiraz, white wine (cheers).

On a hot summers night - Sushi served with salad and potato salad (don't forget the wine).

I could go on but as you see I enjoy ALL TYPES OF SEAFOOD. I don't eat red meat or chicken - who needs that when some of us can eat fish and know that it is fresh if not fresh we use it for bait so there's no waste!

Natalie :)

creekboy likes this.
  12. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Now that sounds good !!!

creekboy likes this.
  13. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Then do you throw the fish away and eat the lemon? :grin:
    Ive never actually tasted a good parrotfish..... :???:

creekboy likes this.
  14. bushmen

bushmen New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    calamari in tomatoe sauce 1/ cut calamarie into squares not to big 2/ lightly fry for 30sec each side in olive 3/ 2to3 bottles of tomatoe sauce put put calamari into sauce. add garlic and herds if you wish. cook for 1to 11/2 hrs on very low flame or until you think it is tender 4/ cook spaghetti. 5/ pour over pasta that is how my mum cooks it that is why when i catch same the go to her. bon appetite nick

EPfarnie and creekboy like this.
  15. EPfarnie

EPfarnie Member

May 9, 2017
    IMG_0986.JPG Favourite fish dish: Does crab count? Whenever I have fresh blue swimmer crab i love cooking up a Singapore style chilli crab.

16. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    It's great to se someone looking through the old posts.

EPfarnie and creekboy like this.
  17. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Some great dishes amongst those. My personal favourite would have to be redfin, scaled and filleted, rolled in plain flour and fried in butter, turned once and given a light sprinkle of vinegar and eaten with chips and salad or on bread and butter.(Now I feel hungry) Cheers, creekboy.

Sprinter and kev209 like this.
  18. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    One feed that sticks in my mind was some gummy shark caught in western port bay.Done in egg & breadcrumb and cooked on the bbq plate over some red gum coals.Pretty simple. What made it special was the bloke brought it all the way up to the banks of the murray for a cod trip.About a dozen of us shared it on a saturday night,all sitting round the camp fire,talking bulls5it and sucking on a cold beers. Doesn't get any better.

Sprinter, kev209 and reelaxation like this.
  19. EPfarnie

EPfarnie Member

May 9, 2017
    there is some great old threads on this forum, and plenty of good fishing stories for people looking for tips. Easily searchable, so a forum such as this wins out over other social media platforms in that regard.

Sprinter and kev209 like this.
  20. EPfarnie

EPfarnie Member

May 9, 2017
    Yum, that sounds awesome.

kev209 likes this.